Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ft Lauderdale/Miami area what to see and do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

We will be visiting the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area soon. We will be spending two days in the Keys but we are looking for other things to do. We have a seven year old son so we need to find some interesting things for him as well. I know there are airboat rides in the Everglades which we would like to do. Any suggestions on which one to go on? Also would like to explore Everglades National Park - any suggestions there? Is the Miami Seaquarium worth the trip? Anything in Miami we should check out? Also, since we are staying in Weston, what would be the best beach to check out that is not too long of a drive? Anything else you can suggest would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:31 PM

Charlo,

When I went to Ft. Lauderdale last April I took the airboat tour from Everglades Holiday Park, which I recommend. On the way back from the everglades I took Griffin Road all the way back and stopped off at Bob Roth's New River Groves in Davie, and ended up trying their key lime pie. It was so good I even took one back home with me. Next year we will have our conference in Key Biscayne, just south of Miami, and I am definitely going back again. I think next time I'll buy 2 or 3. You can freeze them for later.

As far as other activities in the area, do go to Las Olas Boulevard in Ft. Lauderdale. It is in the heart of downtown and there are lots of good restaurants in that area. You can also take the water taxis through the canals in Ft. Lauderdale. I can see why they call Ft. Lauderdale the Venice of America. Also, take Route A1A down to Miami Beach. Lots of good restaurants there as well and a very lively place. Whatever you do, do not go to downtown Miami at night. It is quite desolate and dangerous. If you have time, take a drive north on Route A1A to Boca Raton and Delray Beach.

http://www.florida-oranges.com/index.html

http://www.evergladesholidaypark.com/
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:41 PM

Great little Bistro to try on Las Olas Blvd:

Bistro Las Olas--we ate there last week and had the BEST stuffed veal chop and homemade coconut cream cake...Killer food in a bar/bistro atmosphere-You can even eat outside!!
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:39 AM

There are two ways to do the Everglades. You can drive to the southern entrance (down the Turnpike to Florida City) and enter the park there. Take a picnic lunch and be sure to go to the Anhinga Trail. You'll see lots of wildlife. (You are also at the entrance to the Keys so this could be part of your Keys trip). Stop at Robert is Here for milkshakes (you can't miss it)
You can also take the Tamiami Trail and stop at Shark Valley and the Miccosooki (sp) Indian village. There are airboats outside the park at both locations. If you like photography, Clyde Butcher's gallery is also on Tamiami Trail (about halfway between Miami and Naples). These are enormous black and white photos of the Everglades and surrounding area.
I would skip the Seaquarium. There are other more interesting things to do.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Not sure it would hold any interest for your 7 year old, but I'm a big fan of Vizcaya, an Italian Renaissance palazzo built right on Biscayne Bay in south Miami (I think near the seaquarium). It's unbelievable this exists in the US. Also afbulous gardens. Have a look here
http://www.vizcayamuseum.org/
Very easy to drive to off the Fla Tpke.