Reload this Page >

October Weekend in NY-Short Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:43 AM
cobbi

We live only about 15 miles from the city, but when my husband won 2 nights at the Roosevelt Hotel, we decided to be tourists in Manhattan for a few days. We arrived Friday, a little later than planned and had to cancel our dinner reservation, but were pleased to find out we had a mini-suite at the Roosevelt, which is a very nice hotel with a helpful and friendly staff. After checking in, we walked to the Richard Rodgers Theater to see Movin' Out, which was really really good, especially if you're Billy Joel fans as we are. The choreography by Twyla Tharp was amazing, lighting was great. I would go see it again.

Saturday morning, we slept til 9, showered dressed and went down for the bountiful buffet breakfast that was included with our room. Fresh squeezed orange juice, a plethora of fresh fruit and pastries, scrambled eggs and bacon/sausages, french toast, and an omelet and waffle station--we stuffed ourselves and stepped outside into a beautiful sunny and very warm day. We strolled up Lexington Avenue from our hotel on 45th and Madison, to the Metropolitan Museuem of Art, on 79th Street, and spent about 3 hours in the museum catching the Richard AVedon exhibit, the Gauguin exhibit, and most of the 19th century European paintings, as well as the Greek art and architecture.

Tired and a little hungry, we left the museum, picked up some sodas and hot dogs from a street vendor, and spent an hour on a bench in Central Park, just resting and people watching. Park was very crowded; in fact, the whole city was very crowded this weekend--lots and lots of tourists!

Next we decided to really do the tourist thing, so we caught a bus to the Empire State Bldg. to see the Skyride (I had heard about this years ago, and always wanted to see it). Very hot and crowded inside, and we were both disappointed with the Skyride. About 20 minutes long and we felt it was not worth the money at all...

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:50 AM
cobbi

Anyway, after leaving the Empire State Bldg., we stopped at a Starbucks (pick one--they're on every corner!) for a frappuccino, and then took the subway down to the Village. We were curious as to why it was so crowded down there in the afternoon, and why everyone was walking around holding yellow cups. Turned out it was the annual Pub Crawl weekend, where for a small fee plus a few cans of food for the hungry, one could visit all the participating pubs and get their cups filled with beer.

Since we're not exactly pub crawlers, we just enjoyed shopping at all the boutiques and shops, and watching the pub crawlers get happier and happier as the evening wore on!

Around 6:30, we walked over to Mulberry Street and Little Italy, also very crowded here! Had a great dinner at Paesano's and walked back to the Caffe Reggio in the Village for cappuccino and some really interesting people-watching!

Pretty tired, we were back in our hotel room by 11, and back home on Sunday by noon, after another great breakfast.

A very nice, but short weekend, in a city that we usually take for granted. It was fun being a tourist at home! Try it in a city near you!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Ruth

Sounds like a great trip!

I'm going to be in New York soon, and was interested to hear that the Skyride at the ESB isn't worth it. Did you book in advance for your dinner at Paesano's? And, what is the weather like at the moment? Will a raincoat be useful? Thank you!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Jaylee

Hey, I enjoyed reading your trip report cobbi. As a native new yorker, I enjoy reading about tourist's experiences here.

I think the Skyride is an absolute waste of time. Ruth, use whatever money you would've used for the Skyride [it really is a waste of time and $$$] and get on the Circle Line cruise. It's a nice way to see the city and relax, get some really great pictures and learn some interesting facts [that is, if you are into the latter. I very begrudingly went on a circle line cruise b/c some friends from out of town really wanted to go, so I went with them {I hadn't been on since grade school} and thought it was a really nice experience].

You definitely need a raincoat here. The weather as I type this message is very chilly and a storm is approaching. Later on next week a cold front will be here. However, the weather is NYC is famously unpredictable.

[FYI-I work in the travel/tourism industry here ]

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:06 AM
cobbi

Ruth, no we didn't have reservations for Paesano's, and I don't think most people did. All restaurants were busy, but I saw people with parties of 8 and 10 get seated right away without reservations. Most people wanted to sit outside since it was such a nice evening, so inside was only half full.
Paesano's was great and a good value. My husband had fried calamari as an appetizer and veal saltimbocca, I had a salad and linguini with calamari. We split a nice bottle of wine and both had cappuccino after dinner and the bill was only $60. Food was very good, and I highly recommend this place.

Yes, you would probably need a raincoat. Weather is in the 60's today and damp, and while we may still have some beautiful sunny 70-degree days left this fall, I would definitely bring a raincoat to be on the safe side.

Jaylee--funny you mentioned the Circle Line. While we were sitting in the park deciding what to do next, my husband turned down every suggestion I made, including a Circle Line tour! So I told him to pick something, and he picked the skyride (which I had suggested earlier). It was a total ripoff. Please tell tourists to stay away or just go to the observation deck and skip the skyride.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Ruth

Thank you cobbi and Jaylee!