October in Bar Harbor

Search

October in Bar Harbor

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
October in Bar Harbor

Hello all! I'm staying in the Bar Harbor area Oct. 16-23 this year. It is my first time to Maine (yay!) and I can't wait! It seems the more I read, the more I find out that Bar Harbor kind of "shuts down" in the winter. Kind of like the Jersey Shores in my area... anyway, Am I getting dangerously close that time of year to not having anything open, or to enjoy? I know Acada NP is still open which is a very good thing, but I wanted to spend a few days/evenings in Bar Harbor shopping and eating and what not. Is there going to be enough open to keep me busy?? Gosh I hope so!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That first weekend should be quite busy actually....your second weekend is probably the last weekend that everything will be going full-swing and you might hit some good end-of-season sales. Plenty of restaurants to keep you well-fed.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:35 AM
jasper

it'll be great! stores will have 75% off seasonal stuff! i was there the same time, and it is still warm and stuff. it will be the last of the weekends the business' are open, and not too crowded. go to miguel's for the best mexican food, and jordans for breakfast! enjoy.

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply's!!! yaaay! 75% off, sweet music to my ears!!!! Now, an important one... will lobster still be readily available!! Holy crap I can't wait to eat me some lobster at deep discounted prices, lol.

Man oh man, I simply cannot wait to go! I am looking for some relaxation! I spend all day looking for trip reports and user review of places, just so I can enjoy Bar Harbor before I even get there!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 05:41 AM
jasper

chip...lobster abounds...you can have it anywhere, i'd say no place is better than the other. the thing is they don't do much to it. it's not fancy like newberg or thermador or anything. it's just steamed or broiled? that's what i remember. yes, stores will be trying to get rid of their tee shirts, sweatshirts, random touristy items, so it's fun. enjoy!!

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 09:37 AM

I second what others have said. Columbus Day weekend is the last busy time of the year, and you're there just after. Some stores and restaurants may be closed, but plenty should still be open, and much less crowded. Really beautiful time of the year to visit that part of the country.

2 years ago, I also went in mid-October. Foliage has peaked, but weather is wonderful. Lobsters were great and cheap. I remember having a dinner at a seaside place near Belfast that's $15 for a 1.25lb lobster MEAL, including shrimp cocktail, desert, side dishes, etc.