ocean city vs LBI - Need help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are planning our annual trip to the beach this summer (along with our 2 yo daughter) - We usually stay in LBI but wanted to try something different - also, i don't think LBI has enough to do at night. We heard about OC and was contemplating going there but also heard that its overcrowded, beaches aren't as nice, etc. - We LOVE the beach, bike riding and going to the amusement parks at night...any recommendations & /or feedback would be helpful (esp. from people who have stayed at both places!)!!

Thanks,

Mary
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:23 AM

Excuse my ignorance, but what is LBI?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:22 AM

TxTravelPro: LBI is Long Beach Island

Maryrm: I personally love Ocean City. Lived there for 3 years and still live in the area. It does get crowded, parking can be a real pain. I haven't been to LBI since I was a youngin' and remembered being bored there. So I don't know that I can give a good comparison

I'm a boardwalk kinda gal and OC has one and LBI doesn't Not sure what you are looking to do at night. OC doesn't have any nightlife as far as clubs, etc. It is a dry town. It also has no games of chance on the boardwalk, ie Seaside Heights or Wildwood. It's a very family oriented town. There are 2 amusement parks and a small water park on the boardwalk. The boards are open until midnight I believe in the height of the season.

My personal opinion about the beach is that it's as nice as any other beach at the shore. The beach area along the main boardwalk area gets very crowded, but there is much more beach area not along the boards that I would think wouldn't be as crowded. There is also a beach tag fee for OC, not sure that there is one in LBI. I personally like to go to the beach at 1st street. It's a bigger beach, bathrooms right there and it's the start of the boardwalk....though the part where all the shops, rides, etc starts at 5th or 6th street.

I think you can accomplish all the things you love just as much in OC as LBI. If you are looking for something different then I think OC is a good choice

Any questions, just ask
Cheryl
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 01:24 PM

If you stay in OC you could also take a quick drive down route 9 (or the GSP) to the Cape May zoo. It's free (but donations are appreciated) and it's beautiful! Kids really love it.

Have fun!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 01:33 PM
bluestructure

Are we talking about Ocean City, MD here??? Could get more replies if folks know what/where you talking about.

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 02:07 PM

Ocean City,New Jersey.