Oahu-things to do

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Valarie

Oahu-things to do

I have so many questions! We're going to the Pro Bowl on Feb. 9 and we'll be staying on Oahu for 5 days.

We've never been to Hawaii and really want to go to a Luau. I've been reading about the Paradise Cove luau. Does anyone have any comments on this? Can you also recommend any good restaurants on Oahu. Also, is the Dole Plantation worth visiting? Please post or email any suggestions you have. Thanks!!!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Gail

Try the text search box above with the places you are interested in. You will find lots of recent information on the places you mentioned. Make sure to stop at Buzz's Steakhouse for a drink. They have a fair price and a great MaiTai.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Sarah

families like dole plantation, hard for me to forget that the guy shackled Hawaiians workers in the early days. He was also the first U.S imposed leader on the Hawaiians had all kinds of restrictions and circumstances that were designed to keep them from voting. Oh yes you had to be fluent in English to vote can, you imagine on foreign soil? But wait this guy was imposed nobody voted for him if memory serves. I prefer a drive through the fields during the harvest, smells like a pineapple upside down cake roasting in the warm summer air.

Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, Waemia Falls Park. I like to stick to the tourist sights that don't distort what images are left of the Hawiians. Ionlani Palace is a must see for some historical background.

Along the way to the North Shore there in some pineapple fields. there is an old Alii (royalty) birthing ground. The Hawaiians use to believe if you were not born in this area you were not true Alii (sp). Also North Shore Heau is special place and overlooks the pacific.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:04 AM
bubba

1. USS Arizona
2. Hanauma Bay (snorkeling-possibly the best in Hawaii)
3. Hike up Diamond Head
4. N. Shore

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Paula

I spent 10 days on Oahu 2 years ago. I can't wait to go back to Hawaii!! We stayed on Waikiki Beach with an ocean view room. The name of the hotel has changed & I don't know what it is without research. However someone could find out for you. It has Duke's Canoe Club at the ocean front side. Wonderful for fresh seafood dinner and a very busy club at night.

We went to Pearl Harbor out of obligation, but I am so glad. Visit the memorial if you get the chance. Go first thing in the morning if you can to miss the rush. Don't skip the movie they show. It give the you a real sense of what happened and the right frame of mind. Be sure to visit the "girls room" before going on the boat to the memorial because there are no restrooms out there. The boat broke down while we were there and we were on the memorial for more than an hour. I'm sure this is not usual, but just in case.....

Don't take the tour buses for a round trip tour of the island. It takes too long & waste too much time. Rent a car & drive around the island. Don't wait to the end of your trip to do this like we did. I would have spent more time on other parts of the island!! Buy a guide book from fodors on Oahu only and it will tell you where to stop for interesting or historical sites.

Look on the web & see if there are any surfing competitions on the North Shore. It is a great senic drive around there and back. We watched the World Cup of Surfing. Those guys are incredible. You can then take surf lessons on the beach at Waikiki. I did this and it was great fun!!

We did not go to the Dole Plantation. We did drive past on the way back from the North Shore. I am in history class now & have just learned that Mr. Sanford P Dole stormed the Hawaiian Palace, took Queen Liliuokalani hostage. He asked President Grover Cleveland to recognize his new territory, but Cleveland declined stating that what he had done was unamerican. So Dole just waited, still holding the Queen hostage, for a new president,William McKinnley, to recognize his new territory. Just studied this last night. Sorry for the history lesson, but I would give any money to someone like that...it also gives some good insite as to how some Hawaiians feel toward Americans. We did experience some of these feeling during our trip (not alot).

We went to Germaine's Luau. It was what you would expect with dancers and all. We enjoyed the show, but the food was not so good. The roast pork had sand in it. There was not much food selection other than Hawaiian traditional dishes. Now I realize that this is a tradition Hawaiian event, however it is put on for tourist & i was hungry all night long. The drinks, which we paid for, tasted like koolaid with liquor.

See if you can get a tropical jungle hike to Monoa Falls: I am not endorsing this website, just wanted it for the information for you. http://www.discoveringhawaii.com/Is_...aterfalls.html We went on this hike, be sure to dress in layers (jacket/long shirt with short sleeves underneath. It got hot fast. The hike is not too hard (much easier than Diamond Head). The trail was muddy(think black clay like mud), and uneven. Our guide talked the entire hike about plants, animals, and history. We went with Guides of Oahu. They were not for profit & just asked (expected) for a $25.00 donation. It was well worth it. At the end of the trail if Monoa Falls. Be sure to be adventurous enough to swim (stand) in the water fall pool. I have never experienced anything like it. It is my best Hawaiian memory.

i hopes this help and let me know if you have any specific questions!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Beth

I really think that Iolani Palace talks give most mainlanders an eye opening look at Hawaiian history. I have done the tour two or three times, there is usually not a dry eye by the end of the tour. Aloha Oi (sp) was written while the Queen was imprisoned in her bedroom at the palace, she was not allowed to read but they let her compose music and write. Think about how sad that song Aloha Oi is. she was saying good bye to an independent Hawaii in that song. This is where I and others cry on the tour. Do the Iolani Palace tour! Visit the Missionary house across the street once you find out their history you won’t want to go there either but learn, learn, learn always enriches my trips.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Paula

I have just realized with great horror that I stated I would give money to people like Dole!!! Please let me restate I would NOT pay any money to see a plantation owned by people who obtained it through these actions!! My appologies!!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Sarah

we got that Paula I don't Hawiians either lol

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Sarah

I mean we got that Paula, I don't CALL them Hawiians...ugh I never am clear when I am laughing at my own jokes.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Melissa

Valarie, if you are going to a luau, you might as well go to Paradise Cove. When the Pro Bowlers are in town, they often stay at the Ihilani and the Paradise Luau next door is one of their activities.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:58 PM
lcuy

Valerie- just to clear up some confusion, the dole Plantation does not cost anything. It is a giant gift shop with soda fountain that sells Pineapple sherbert, sundaes, etc. Outside is a Maze made out of hibiscus plants, which does cost a few bucks). There is also a selection of different varieties of pineapple plants growing, a few take it yourself photo opportunities (like a big Plywood pineapple) and a reservoir full of Koi (with a coin machine full of food to feed them).
Politics aside, it is a nice stop on the way to the north shore and get a snack.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Ross

yey I suppose lcuy is write it is just not a place to make a days adventure out of unless you are going horse back riding. Stop in drink the free samples load up on sugar cane and mac nut gifts, the maze on a hot Hawaiian day not for me, then leave to North Shore Heau or Sunset beach ect.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Deb

Hi,

I spent a week on Oahu Jan 7-14.

My advice? GET OUT OF WAIKIKI!! Go hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, go to the North Shore and check out the surfers.

We went on a 6-mile hike through the Maikiki Valley and along the Manoa Cliffs. It was HARD, but worth it to walk through rainforest, bamboo groves, and guava and koa wood trees.

We did the Paradise Cove luau. It was okay. Try to get there early to enjoy the crafts and games. And bring a sweater! It gets breezy over there and chilly when the sun goes down.

The only thing that really bothered me about Oahu is the strong, almost smothering military presence.

Some good restaurants--Jameson's by the Sea in Haleiwa (sp?), Orchids at the Halekulani hotel in Waikiki (VERY expensive!), Hau Tree Lanai in the New Otani Beach Hotel in Waikiki (had a GREAT breakfast here), and you can't miss Duke's Canoe Club on the beach.

Rent a car and drive around the island. The scenery is breath-taking!

That's just my advice. Do a search and you'll find lots of other info. Have fun!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Paula

The military presence must be something new since 9-11-01 because we saw very few servicemen when we were there.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Celeste

There are more service members (I'm one of them) stationed on Oahu then in any other state, and it was that way long before 9-11-01. There are Navy bases (Pearl Harbor, Ford Island, Kunia, Barbers Point just about closed), Marine bases (Kaneohe), Army posts (Fort Shafter, Schofield Barracks, Fort DeRussy on Waikiki Beach, Waianae, Helemano, Kahukus), Air Force bases (Hickam, Wheeler, and Bellows), and Coast Guard bases (Sand Island). That doesn't include all the little communications stations and other small bases scattered all over Oahu.

When they're not on duty, they're wearing the same T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops everyone else is - maybe that's why you didn't notice them.

I'm not trying to be flip or impolite; the statement "the military presence must be something new" just amazed me.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Celeste

Actually, now that I read it all again, even more incredible is the statement, "The only thing that really bothered me about Oahu was the strong, almost smothering military presence." Maybe you've forgotten, Hawaii is a part of the United States, we're at WAR, and the military is to protect Americans like you!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Kelly

Military presence in Hawaii bothered me before 911 also. I do appreciate what the men and women are putting on the line for us. I don't think the ways in which we have exploited Hawaii are in the name of protection but more in the name of we can.

Bombs dropping on Kaawalava (sp)for target practice (what was this happening for 20+ years), continued target practice out in Makua (sp) (West Side), you can't tell me they would ever do that if this were an affluent area on the mainland. ...the cutting off of different areas (kolekole pass, bellows beach and other areas) to Hawaiians is appalling. Yes I know that Hawaii is part of the U.S but not by choice. We brought a war (WWII)to a Nation that was independent some 40+ years before and no one ever talks about this.

You can't ignore the loud young, some times drunk service men in front of the Hali Koa, the law breakers that appear in the local newspapers, the military blunders like the sinking of the Ehime Maru all of this takes a toll on the military image.

I am not Hawaiian but from the mainland this is what I could observe so I can understand how an earlier poster felt suffocated by the military presence.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 01:48 PM
spellcheck

The 8 Hawaiian islands, with their proper spelling, are:

Kauai
Kahoolawe
Maui
Molokai
Lanai
Niihau
Oahu
Hawaii

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Gail

so the target practice happens on the Waianae coast near an impoverished community that can't fight back. Do you know the correct spelling for that nearby beach, is it Makuha, Makua? Thanks for Kahoolawe did they evacuate the island to bomb it to environmental destruction or was it already empty? I remember a lot of Hawaiians in tears over this; I am guessing they moved communities.

I am proud of you Celeste and any other American who serve to protect us. I don't support bad decisions like this.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Beth

In Oahu, stay at the Kahala Mandanrain Oritental and eat at Roy's. Swim at Sandy Beach, and explore Sea Life Park. Drive to the North Shore and explore Wamiea Falls. Wakkaii is too crowded for my taste.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -