Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

O'ahu: Shopping for Japanese books on crochet?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While on O'ahu I want to try to find some Japanese books on needlework--specifically crochet. (No, I do not read Japanese, but they use stitch diagrams ) Searching online I have found Hakubundo store, not too far from Ala Moana Mall, that carries Japanese craft books, so I will try there. I found a reference to a used (I think) bookstore at Shirokiya called Bookoff, so i will look there. Any other new or used bookstores you would recommend? Does anyone know if Daiei might have anything? I have found some listings of needlework stores but no idea if they carry Japanese books.

I very much appreciate any information anyone can share. I want to look for these books, but I want to really maximize my time, and hope I can find something in a few hours of shopping.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 06:06 PM

Daiei is now Don Quixote, and I wish I could tell you if they have such books, but the new layout is so chaotic I don't know how you'd find it!

I googled yarn shops in Honolulu, and came up with what looks like a good spot for you:
http://tinyurl.com/34fnhc
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 09:07 PM

Hakubundo would be a good bet, and also the book section at Shirokiya- a Japanese dept store at Ala Moana Center. I don't remember seeing any books at Don Quixote.

I'll ask my MIL about this...she likes Japanese books and does crochet, so she might have other ideas..
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 10:32 PM

Hakubundo will surely have them. Ben Franklin Crafts also sells Japanese craft books. They have several locations--one in Kaimuki (closest to Waikiki), another near the airport, and one in Pearl City near Pearlridge. Also, you can try Flor-a-Dec craft shop located near Aloha Tower, but I would call them first.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:57 AM

My MIL also recommended Ben Franklin
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the replies!

Melissa, thank you for the website...I actually did have that bookmarked, and looking at it again I guess that is where I first saw Hakabundo mentioned.

Is it just me, or is Don Quixote a funny name for a store? Well, it sounds like I don't need to go there anyway.

lcuy and Offlady, I will go to Ben Franklin and see what I can find.

Now all I have to do is decide how much "book budget" I will allow myself

You all have really, really helped me out with this. Thank you for the time you spent researching and posting. Mahalo nui loa to you wonderful Fodorites!
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:43 PM

Don Quijote is a popular store in Japan- nick named "Don-ki". Their mascot though, is not a donkey but instead is a blue penquin.