Search

Oahu rain

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu rain

We are going to Oahu in 2 weeks. Can anyone give some insight as to the weather? Is it expected that the rain pattern will be breaking anytime soon? We are just concerned our vacation may be a washout and may postpone it if needed. Thanks for any help. We will be staying in Waikiki.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:34 AM

Not sure what to tell you--anything can happen in 2 weeks! According to today's www.honoluluadvertiser.com, we may be at the beginning of the end of this freak storm weather.

If it's POSSIBLE to postpone your trip a few more weeks, that may be a safer bet; if not, my feeling is that 2 weeks may be a good cushion of time for this rain to stop. It's gotta stop soon!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:57 AM

It doesn't rain much in Honolulu/Waikiki compared to other parts of the island so you'll be OK.

I agree with Melissa. If you can postpone the trip for a couple more weeks, it may be better. But don't do it if it costs a lot to change the plans.

I just looked at one of your other messages about the Waikiki Resort Hotel. I don't know anything about the hotel, but, it is in a good location less than a block from the beach. Great location, almost straight out from Duke's statue.

This link shows where the hotel is.

http://www.waikiki.us/waikikimap.htm...260bb1d8c8b18a
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:17 AM

I'm going to Honolulu, Kona and Maui in Mid-April...does it usually rain in April?

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:19 AM

Another way to look at it...the waterfalls should be beautiful, right?

8-)
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:58 AM

The waterfalls are astounding!

As for "does it usually rain in April".....not more than usual. Even this particular rain storm we're having is a total freak of nature, so I guess the best we can say is that Mother Nature is unpredictable! For all you know, it will be bone-dry next month.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for you input & links. It does look like it may dry out some next week and maybe that trend will hold for awhile. We're just going to keep our options open.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 10:06 AM

Well, the weather is normal & gorgeous today, you'd never know that we had brutal weather on Thursday and Friday. See how crazy it can be? I blame global warming!!
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 07:59 PM

Yay - it was sunny today!!!!

As Melissa said, it was like a normal sunny day - but since it's been about 6 weeks since our last *normal* day, it did seem a bit strange.

Hopefully we're finally drying out and getting back to normal.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 08:29 PM

Keep it up.... We're incoming Weds. for a niece's wedding on Saturday.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 09:39 PM

Finally, a nice warm day with sun!
Walked the Diamondhead loop and stopped by the farmers market.

Let's hope this signals a weather change!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:58 AM

We were in Oahu in mid-March, and had rain every day. We could have decided to be miserable, but as it turned out, we had a wonderful time. It never rained continuously, although when it did rain, it rained hard (have you seen those scenes on "Lost"? True...)The only thing I would highly recommend is to bring an umbrella everywhere!!! (Our romantic evening stroll on the beach became a dash for shelter and a long wait for the rain to stop, which it did only after we gave up waiting...we wouldn't have been wetter if we'd stood under the shower -- but it was no less romantic and highly memorable! ) Yes, the waterfalls and greenery were amazing, and we really managed to do everything we wanted to do -- we set our minds to relax and enjoy ourselves, and that's exactly what we did! Hope you have a great trip!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:10 PM

We just returned today from a week in Oahu. Per the local news they are awaiting the Trade Winds to blow in and clear out the rainy weather. Last I heard that was to happen this weekend. Our last day was Saturday April 1st and it was a beautiful sunny day. It did begin to sprinkle around 5PM on the East Coast. The only bummer is the numerous signs posted on many beaches not to swim due to the pollution. We spent a half day at Waimanalo Beach on the East Coast and no signs posted there on 4/1/06. Beautiful beach - highly recommend that beach and Kailua Beach.

Have a great time.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:15 PM

I live in Hawai'i Kai which is located in East O'ahu and supposedly one of the drier areas of the island. In the afternoon there was a lot of heavy clouds and thunder on the Windward side of the island...extending from Waimanalo to Kahuku. A flash flood alert was sounded for this area as well as Mau'i. The meteorologists proclaim we're nearing the end of these 40+ days of rain...but I'm not going to be a believer until I see it! The mountains are all a beautiful green and the trees and mosquitoes are ecstatic! Some of the beaches have been placed off limits due to polluted runoff, etc. Is your vacation slated to be a washout? If you trust the weatherman, you've got a good chance for some nice, sunny days in Paradise.... Aloha!!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:47 PM

weather forcast for today and the next seven days is sunshine and tradewinds...finally!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:39 PM

SWEEEEEEEEEET...thanks Hawaiin Traveler for the Update!

8-)
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 05:37 PM

Ya, me too worried. we are going to maui next week.. looks like it will be raining heavily... my first hawaii trip- completely washed out