Search

Oahu, Maui or Kaui

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:57 AM
mt

Oahu, Maui or Kaui

I've asked this as a general question previously but now I will be specific:
I'm planning a first time trip to Hawaii next year. I'm unsure as to which island(s) I should visit.
I like to sightsee and nightlife but I also want to see the quieter and less commercial side of Hawaii.
And what is the best time to visit these islands?
I'm on a budget so any recommendations about lodgings, vacation packages?
Thanks!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:55 AM
jan

I would recommend Maui. Been twice and love it. Prettiest island. Less commercialized. Oahu, I did not like. It's nothing but a city.
I'd say definetely Maui. October is a good time to go. Not too hot nor crowded. Perfect!
Have fun!!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 10:13 AM
Kate

jan have you been to the North Shore of Kauai. This same question has me stumped. I have been to all of the islands but not to big Island or Maui in 5 years. Where do you stay in Maui and how many people are on the beaches?
Just watched honeymoon in vegas and am reminded of all the beauty in North Shore Kauai. Jan tell me about Maui. I only remember driving distances to each place don't remember outdoor beauty being close.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 11:58 AM
Surfer Sue

Sorry for being negative but people who dis- O'ahu are the types who "can't see the forest for the tree." For those who take the time to get out of Honolulu and Waikiki to explore the trails and beaches know that O'ahu has much to offer.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:17 PM
jayson

Jan:
You just exposed yourself as the typical shortsighted quick-judgment tourist.
Your comments are far from being accurate.
Virtually no one thinks Maui is the prettiest island in the state. Virtually everyone is astounded by the beauty of northern Kauai, which, as the rainiest location on earth, has some of the most lush vegetation and beautiful mountainscapes in all the world. It is unsurpassed in its beauty.
Also, to state that "Oahu is nothing but a city" is just plain stupid.
Honolulu doesn't even make up 5% of the island's land area. And the north shore of Oahu is every bit as pretty as anyplace you can find on Maui.
Hopefully "mt" will have the sense to ignore those comments.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:25 PM
carrie

If this is your first time to Hawaii I would definetly go to Oahu. You must see Pearl Harbor, Wakiki Beach and maybe Hanama Bay. You will be very disappointed if you do not see these attrations. Also buy yourself the book the Unoffical Guide to Hawaii. It is in Waldenbooks or Barnes and Noble. There is a wealth of information in these books. You will be sorry if you don't see the main attrations. If you want less commericial areas go to the northshore of Oahu.
After you go to Oahu you can pick one or two more islands depending on your length of stay. Good Luck

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Linda

We chose Oahu because of budgetary reasons and weren't a bit sorry - georgous (away from the city) and lots to do and see. Agree that you need to get a good guidebook of Hawaii in general (I used Frommers Hawaii 2001 for my planning) and research the different islands to help narrow your choices.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Ron

Try this website-- www.gohawaii.com ---
Thats an official website for the tourism dept.You can order a free vacation planner that has a lot of info. on each island, websites for the individual islands, etc. It is not a 2-3 page brochure, but a nice magazine.
It will have info. on hotels, their websites, toll free no's etc.
I hope this helps.I have been fortunate to have visited Hawaii several times---
Oahu, Maui, Kaui and the Big Island--more than once each. I would be hard pressed to say which is a "favorite" as they are all wonderful.
I hope you have a wonderful trip,whichever you choose.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Peg

Just returned from second trip to Kauai & Maui. If you like lots of traffic congestion, long lines for restaurants, lots of hub-bub & a general fast- paced feeling for your vacations go to Maui. We prefer the laid back feel of Kauai. Much quieter, much less traffic & much more relaxed feeling & less commercial.. The scenery is the best in the world & overall prices are less in Kauai. We had 8 days of sunshine in Kauai & 4 days of rain in Maui also. The shore shore of Poipu is sunnier, drier & less windy in winter months.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Wondering

Peg where did you stay while in maui?

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:34 PM
mt

Thanks for all the great advice. Since I will be a first time visitor to Hawaii, I think it would be appropriate to start in Oahu and see such attractions as Pearl Harbor, the USS Arizona, Diamondhead. I don't know if I'll have the time or afford to go to another island but Oahu sounds perfect.
Ron, I did order that guide.
My trip won't be until next year so I'll start researching.
Thanks again for your advice.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:11 PM
e

Not to rain on your parade BUT if you go all the way to Hawaii and ONLY visit Oahu.......good luck

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 01:35 PM
ellen

Oahu is a great place to visit. I loved the scene in Waikiki and also loved the rest of the Island which has lots to do and see. Beatiful beaches, mountains and parks. I would spend half of the trip in Waikiki (check out Ohana hotels for 1st rate quarters at a great low price] and then move to the north shore for the remainder of your trip. It will limit driving so far and allow you to explore more fully. All of the other islands are fabulous too, each with unique features, but you have to start somewhere!!

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 01:41 PM
helen

There is no beach in the world like Waikiki - two foot waves all day long, gentle curve toward Diamond Head. It is very urban now and a little crowded but there is nothing on the other island that even come close.

Honolulu is much like Kansas City or any mainland city. To discover the charm of Oahu get out of Honolulu.

Traffic-wise I think Maui is the worse, followed by Oahu, followed

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:11 PM
helen

Sorry, my finger slipped. I was going to say that Maui traffic is the worst because the locals are anti-development and are severely limiting new road construction. Oahu is no piece of cake but at least you can get around. Kauai has better traffic flow.

Oahu will give you the best overall experience but you have to get away from the Waikiki crowds. Enjoy Waikiki for the beach it is and then go out to the other parts of the island for your true Hawaiian cultural experiences.

Pearl Harbor, Pali lookout, the hike to Diamond Head, Sunset Beach, PCC, Hanauma Bay, Haleiwa are all interesting.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:27 PM
,mae

How long are you going for?
Maybe you can do 2 islands. I absolutely love Kauai & IF I went back during the summer would stay in the Hana area. You can be really active or a beach bum on this island I was a combination.