Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oahu Luau....Paradise Cove or Germaine's? or others?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2006, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're taking our 5 yr. old son (energetic...aren't they all?)and are deciding upon a luau. We've got discount tix to Paradise Cove and Germaine's. We'd prefer a luau with good food (is it possible?) and a great show.

Which would you recommend or not....why or why not?

Mahalo for helping us decide!
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:51 PM

Skip both of them and go to Polynesian Cultural Center.

They have the best Polynesian show in all of Hawaii. Their evening show 'Horizons' (7:30pm) is awesome.

A $50 (kids cheaper) ticket includes 'Horizons', seven villages each with their own show/demonstration, a canoe pageant, canoe rides and IMAX.

An $80 (kids cheaper) Ali'i Luau package includes everything above plus the 5pm dinner show. It also includes a lei greeting and upgraded seats for 'Horizons'.

PCC has more games for kids than any other luau.

$36 coupon in Entertainment Book.

So basically for the same price as any other luau, PCC is much better.

www.polynesia.com
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:28 PM

I lived in Oahu for two years. I had many people visit me, and went to many luaus . Polynesian Culture Center was, in my opinion a little boring and sterile, not to mention "dry". So if you are looking for a cocktail or caffeine PCC is not the place for you. It is run by BYU, the show was ok.

Paradise Cove is beautiful, you see the sunset, take a stroll on the beach, walk around to the little craft tables. The ladies there will help you make leis, and anklets and crowns made of Plumeria.

Tip them a dollar or two and they will do more than help you ;-). No matter who I went with we were always covered in flowers by dinner time. For the boys they have hand drawn temporary Polynesion tatoos. The show is great, The food is ok, no worse or better than any other luau. They also offered an "american option" when I booked. Never tried it, but might be nice for children.

If you go in the evening take into account traffic, and also they want you there early so you can make your leis, shop, drink etc. So don't be too worried about being a little late.

There is a mew product in Oahu, the Go Hawaii card. It might be owrth it for you. A friend of mine just got back from Oahu and used it, said it was worth it.
Here is the link:
http://www.gooahucard.com/index.html

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Aloha,
Deb
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:11 PM

I have to agree with "lanikaideb"....Paradise Cove.
Amazing natural setting right on the beach, good crew.

The night show at PCC is very nice but it is a bit too "manufactured" for me. Though the performers are great!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. Although the PCC sounds wonderful, A luau on the beach sounds right up our alley.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:45 AM

I hope that this is not too late to help. Skip both Paradise Cove and Germaine (both too big and too far from stage), and go to Polynesian Cultural Center. If you don't want to visit the entire center, you can save $$'s and attend just the show at PCC. Also, you can get discounts through the Entertainment Club Book for all of the above.