Search

Oahu in February

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu in February

We are thinking about going to Oahu for a week in February (we've been to Kauai and the Big Island). We don't want to stay at Waikiki. What is the best part of the island for weather at that time of year? We are thinking of staying at the Mokuleia Cottages on the North Shore. Appreciate any input from the Fodor's Hawaii experts! Thanks.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 04:41 PM

We were in Oahu last February and stayed north shore as we don't care for Waikiki either. The NOrth Shore is like another island and we loved it. There are some funky little restaurants, great beaches and weather was warm enough for swimming and relaxing on the beach but not hot. As I remember it was in the 70's. We werre trated to a wonderful whale show. They were showing off with their tails and breaching. What a treat. Where are the cottages you are renting and please post how you liked them when you return. We stayed at a private condominium which was just okay - don't think we'd stay there again although it was right on the beach which made for wonderful sounds and sunsets. We don't go to Oahu very often as we are hooked on Kauai but for a quick 3-4 day trip Oahu North Shore is good. We did go to Honolulu for a day to visit the Bishop Museum and the Battleship Missouri which was very interesting. Also since it was my birthday, we went to the dinner in Honolulu and drinks at the Royal Hawaiian otherwise it was t-shirts and shorts at North Shore. Aloha
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 04:43 PM

pdxgirl....I'm also a pdxgirl and my sister really is a pdxgirl as she worked for Delta for many years and Western airlines before that. Now she is a vancouver wa. girl. Have a great trip to Hawaii.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Shar. We love Kauai too, but thought we'd try Oahu on our next trip. Others on this board have posted about the Mokuleia cottages - we found out about them here!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Aloha pdx,

Ohhh! Just have to love O'ahu... if you haven't been yet, you're in for a special treat...

I considered the Mokuleia Cottages when we booked our first trip to the north shore on O'ahu. We decided upon Ke Iki Beach Bungalows instead. Location was a big part of our decision. We wanted to be closer to the big surf wave action and being able to walk the beach to watch the surfing competitions... we were not disappointed... watched Andy Irons crowned World Champion in 2002.

We stayed there again earlier this year... if you'd like to read my report, http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...1&tid=34492836

Mokuleia is further West on the north shore... Ke Iki is on Sunset Beach... by car they are about 15-20 mins apart.

If you have any questions, post agfain here, or emai me at [email protected]

February will show you an incredible swell show anywhere on the north shore... woo hoo!

Happy planning... aloha!