oahu hotels

Aug 20th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

oahu hotels

I'm traveling to Oahu at the end of September and will be spending 4 nights there. I'm looking for an inexpensive hotel that is close to everything. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for your help!
Aug 20th, 2003, 12:38 PM

Check out the Outrigger chains. Some are nicer than others.
Aug 20th, 2003, 01:16 PM

Queen Kapialani. I have not stayed but friends have. I have visited the lobby. I Like the location. There are a lot of bargains if you search in Waikiki but you want to be central. I met someone at Hanama bay who told me he found a hotel in the Aston Group that was $35 a night. He said there was air but no pool. I could be confusing with Islandmom's suggestion so check it out.

I was at the Pacific Beach hotel a two star at $129 but it was so nice to take a stroll along the water at 10pm. I suspect you can find a better rate online. I was there with AA from a flight delay. The zoo, Aquarium, open section of Waikiki are all near by. Queen Kapiolani is also nearby.

I also stayed at the Royal Gardens for $79 and the walk made it feel like $179. You are several blocks away not worth the walk in the sun.

I like the Alamoana hotel for a last night. I think I paid $75 there and it was so convenient to QUALITY shopping perfect for the last day. It was so handy to just walk the bags back to my room. Then I walked a short walk to the Hilton Hawaiian Village for entertainment.
Aug 20th, 2003, 02:38 PM

I've found the Outrigger Reef on the beach to offer the best value on Waikiki. The rooms are nice, the pool is fine, the restaurants/bars are quite good, and the amenities are good for the money. Also, the hotel is right next to the very expensive Halekulani (which is fabulous, but about three times the price).
Aug 20th, 2003, 05:05 PM

hrhtia,

I recommend researching tripadvisor.com and biddingfortravel.com. The first will give you reviews and the latter a strategy to bid on a hotel using Priceline. I won a hotel at $75 per night via Priceline. It is not in the middle of everything, but from everything I've researched is awesome.
Aug 20th, 2003, 05:21 PM

I've got the same thing in mind, HI in September. Cheap airfares in coach and in first class.

At aa.com, they have (I guess its a link to aavacations.com) hotel packages and you can get 3000 bonus miles for booking on-line and another 8000 bonus miles if you stay for 5 nights.
Aug 24th, 2003, 11:56 AM

We just got back, we stayed 2 weeks at the Ohana Islander Waikiki and we loved it. The staff is incredible and the location is great. You are 1 block from the ocean and the Halekulani resort. We enjoyed going down there in the evening and having a drink and watching the hula dancer. The decor of the hotel is nice but the pool area isn't special. we didn't go into the pool once you get pool priveledges at the Outriger Reef which is on the ocean 1 block away I loved this hotel for the money. Oh yeah there are no restaurants in the hotel but ther is a Subway and Starbucks at the ground level. there are hundred restaurants within walking distance.
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Check on expedia.com as some of the Ohana/outrigger hotels have a special where you get 4th night free.

Also, the Hawaiiana hotel offers $80 rooms if you call and ask for a September special, older but clean hotel with nice pool area.
www.Hawaiianaatwaikiki.com
Aug 25th, 2003, 02:26 PM

I have to second the recommendation for the Hawaiiana Hotel on Beachwalk. I spent two wonderful weeks there and can't wait to return. It's an older property, but immaculatly maintainted. There are flowers, grassy areas, plumeria trees everywhere. It has two pools. They give you a complimentary pineapple (cut & ready to eat) after check-in and they serve complimentary tropical juice and Kona coffee by the pool every morning which is lovely.

Although the rooms and furnushings are older, they are in good working order, very comfortable and more than sufficient. The kitchenette saved me a lot of money. The staff there is very friendly and helpful. The weekly rate I paid last month was $400, which can't be beat.

The hotel is one block from the beach (by Outrigger Reef & Halekulani), The Bus (if it's not on strike) runs right behind the hotel, there are numerous restaurants and shops on Beachwalk and Lewers (the next street over), Kalakaua is a half block away. Have a great time.

Search this Thread