Search

Oahu help please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu help please

Well we are leaving for Oahu in 10 days for 2 weeks from Australia. I have done my research but still have a couple of questions I need answered, thanks in advance.

1.Is the Aloha Stadium where they have the swap meets near Pearl Harbour and is it purely really only souvenir shopping and basic clothes, is it worth going?

2.Victoria Ward Center, cheaper buying certain labels such as Roxy here rather in Waikiki or Ala Moana?

3. Matsumotos is in Halewia is it easy to find or do I need an address?

4. Has anyone been horseriding at Kualoa Ranch, there's a 1 hour and a 2 hour ride, any feedback?

5. Have decided to go to PCC this time round and since being there already to see the villages, etc am strongly considering doing the luau here as it's just a bit extra money than going to Paradise Cove and only getting a luau there. Has anyone been to the PCC luau?

6. Do you really need a flashlight for the hike up Diamond Head, and is the hike about 1 hour from the bottom to the top?

Thanks again for your help.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 05:29 AM

1. Some enjoy swap meet and other don't.
2. ??
3. Matsumoto's on main road through town. Can stop and ask if you don't find it. Lot's of other shaved ice vendors also on island.
4. ??
5. PCC luau is good. I think better value and more fun than Paradise Cove, but no alcohol if you are drinker. Don't miss PCC night show.
6. Don't need flashlight if you hold on to iron rod through dark tunnel. But be careful in darkness you not bump into hikers coming down.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 05:41 AM

My daughter and her friend found some interesting souvenirs at the swap meet. With a little searching you can probably find similar souvenirs elsewhere but the swap meet makes it fun.

Rent is lower in Victoria Ward Center so you would think it might lead to lower prices.

Do your horseriding early in the day. Kualoa has interesting scenery and is the site for several movies. I don't know that I would spend precious vacation time riding horses in such a hot and humid place, though. Why not ride horses someplace on the mainland (like the Tetons) where you can ride in the mountains and the temperature is a lot cooler.

We enjoyed the PCC luau. Further, the luau is just part of your admission. Your ticket also includes the villages and a nice night show and an IMAX movie on Polynesia.

We have been to the top of Diamond Head both with and without a flashlight. It helps but is not essential.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 09:14 AM

You can pick up a cheap flashlight at the ABC stores for a couple of dollars. It helps especially for the spiral staircase. The tunnel is OK as long as you hold on to the rail, just look for the light at the end. If there are other hikers, you can usually just follow their lights. The time it takes depends on your fitness level and how long you stop at the lookouts. When my husband and I go by ourselves, it takes us about 20 minutes from bottom to top with a brief pause at one of the lookouts. When we've gone with my in-laws, it usually takes us about 45 minutes stopping more often. I believe it's approx. 3/4 of a mile in distance from the trailhead to the summit. Go early in the day as it gets really hot later.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 04:26 PM

I found the swap meet to be rather repetitive. Almost all of the vendors sell the same sorts of stuff. Lots of good deals, tshirts and Hawaiian shirts mostly. I would say that if you walk about 100 feet, you would pretty much cover everything you would see walking all the way around the stadium.

Old Jul 12th, 2003, 10:18 PM

If you scroll down to the post titled Oahu Trip Report you will find some information about the PCC Lua - and no doubt you will be able to get more information from the poster.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 11:50 PM

I had a 5 day holiday back in May ( from NZ) and we covered a bit of the ground you ask about...

We hired a car and drove to the Aloha Swap meet. It is held every Wed, Sat and Sun and I thought it was well worth it~ lots and lots of stalls selling endless t-shirts and jewelery of course but also lots of crafts and hand made items that weren't available in Waikiki.

Diamond Head was a good work out , remember to take lots of water with you,( 99c at the numerous ABC stores) forget the torch as it's not really necessary. There is a small stall set up at the beginning of the track where you can buy chilled water ($2) and also rent a torch.
We didn't bother with either but someone handed me a rented torch while I was walking up, I did use it but more because I had it rather than needed it.

Matsumotos is easy enough to find, Haliewa is small and the shop is on the main road on the northern end of town.

If you need something else to do on your visit, go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay ... great fun.