Oahu best snorkling in November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Oahu Hawaii November 3rd, and I was wondering where the best snorkeling in November is at? How realistic is it for a beginner to hit the North shore surfing?
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 06:32 PM

You can do what you think safe. Nobody knows if the winter swells will have started, but if they have, I would stay away from the water.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Best snorkeling on north shore may be Shark's Cove, though there were no lifeguards there in July. Sunset and Waimea beaches had lifeguards, and the latter has very good snorkeling at times. I suggest you inquire of the lifeguards before entering the water that time of year, irrespective of its appearance.

Enjoy your trip. The scenery is stunning.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 09:53 AM

November is typically too late in the year to snorkel at the North Shore. Ideal conditions for snorkeling is flat - 1 foot. If you're a good swimmer, you might not mind the chop generated by larger waves, but you also need to be aware of the currents.

Usually by mid September the waves are rising. You may have an occasional day where the conditions are ok, but the chances of this are less the closer you get to the end of the year.

This week the 7 day surf forecast for the North shore ranges from 1-3 on the low days to 3-5 on the high days.

If you decide to go out to the North Shore, I would stick with the beaches with lifeguards (even though these are not the best snorkeling beaches) as conditions in November can be iffy for someone not familiar with our waters.

Otherwise, if you don't want to hassle with whether the conditions are going to be favorable or not, there is Hanauma Bay.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Three years ago, I was at Shark's Cove in May and the north shore was still on the receiving end of moderate wave action. The cove was like a washing maching. It was an uncomfortable few minutes. I quickly decided that it was not worth the risk. I did like the area however.