Search

Oahu 6 day visit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu 6 day visit

My husband and I will be visiting Hawaii for the first time. We'll be staying on Oahu and we've received the tourist material from Visit-Oahu. Does anyone have restaurant suggestion? I've been told that some of the places listed in brochures are just tourist traps and not so great. We like all kinds of food.

We'll surely do tours of Pearl Harbor and other attractions. Does anyone have a very favorite place to go? My husband and I are both active people and can do lots of walking, climbing, etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:10 AM

For an off day, when you don't feel the need to be on a beach or hiking, I suggest a visit to Doris Duke'e estate, Shangri-La. Tours are handled from the Honolulu Academy of the Arts, which is also worth a visit. They have a really nice lunch place for after the tour, so make a lunch reservation. They are very popular.

http://www.shangrilahawaii.org/

http://www.honoluluacademy.org/cmsha...emy/index.aspx

If you decide to go, get the first tour of the day, as it gets hot and humid there.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:24 AM

For restaurants, I really like the Hula Grill. If you go, call ahead for a reservation and request a table on the rail.

Places/activities I've enjoyed most include--Iolani Palace, spending a day on the North Shore, Senator Fong's Plantation, surfing lessons (my favorite activity)
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:45 AM

Koko Crater Botanical Garden was nice. Hike up Diamond Head or to the Makapuu Lighthouse. Spend time up on the North Shore, or certainly drive the island. You can eat your way around like we have done (shave ice in Haleiwa, shrimp trucks on north shore, coconut cream pie at Crouching Lion Inn, dinner in Kailua or the counter-clockwise drive and start with breakfast in Kailua at Boots and Kimo's and you can still have the rest!).

Kakaako Kitchen (over by the Ward Center) we eat here several times; Cafe Sistina, Tiki's, Duke's, Keo's, Eggs N'Things for breakfast, House Without A Key and Ocean House are the places we eat at every trip. Cheap eats is Round Table Pizza - can't get a Portuguese sausage pizza on the mainland!
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I posted a list of all my favorite restaurants (titled "Waikiki some restaurant reviews"). Most all of them casual, local spots. Just click on my screen name to see my that trip report.

I also loved the ShangriLa estate and Honolulu Academy of the Arts as mentioned. DiamondHead is one obvious place for hiking and views. The Saturday morning Farmers Market at Kapiolani Community College is a good place to go.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 06:42 PM

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 04:32 PM

My fave hike is Diamond Head, I knew a man who jogged up and down every morning. For food, Oahu is so diverse. My top picks are Kua Aina Sandwich, Teddy's Burgers, Zippy's Chili, La Mer, Sam Choy's, and Helena's Hawaiian Foods. I agree Kakaako Kitchen is great.
Oahu staples are plate lunch, shave ice, and Leonard's Bakery for malasadas. Have fun!
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 06:21 AM

We enjoy Dukes (Canoe Club) restaurant at the Outrigger. Great vibe and views. Very good food at [relatively] modest prices. Also, a tourist trap we enjoy for breakfast: Oceanarium at the Pacific Hotel. Three story aquarium is the main attraction.

I strongly second the suggestion that you drive around the circumference of Oahu. Outstanding scenery, especially the beaches and pali (cliffs).

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 07:07 AM

In addition to the above suggestions I enjoyed the Iolani Palace tour and the Bishop Museum.
Years ago my sister and I had lunch at the Royal Hawaiian - it was the first time I had eaten seaweed salad!
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 04:42 PM

I second Miramar's suggestion for The Hula Grill at The Outrigger Waikiki. Call ahead and ask for on the rail, and you will get some of the best food and ambiance in Waikiki! Also, Jimmy Buffett's at the Ohana Beachcomber ... especially the nachos and Loco Moco highly recommended by friends and family of ours, after several visits this past Spring. The very best Mai Tai's (IMHO) are at the Moana Surfrider's Beach Bar ... great appetizers, as well!
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I'll report back on our trip when we return.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Better late than never.....we had a great trip. Thanks to everyone who responded.

One tour not to miss is the Barefoot Tours bike and hike. We were driven by van to the starting point and biked down to the city. The views were breathtaking! After the ride, the tour company provided a box lunch. From there we vanned to a rainforest and hiked through bamboo and all kinds of tropical flora to a waterfall. The waterfall was barely dripping but the hike was the best! Word of caution, the hike is not difficult from an endurance standpoint but you will be hiking in mud and through the bamboo forest. The tour guide provides rubber boots...be smart and wear them! We highly recommend barefoot tours.
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Checkout Barefoot Tours. We did a day tour where we were taken to the top of a scenic overlook area by van and then biked down. Great views and great ride! Then the tour provided a bag lunch in a park. After that we went to a rainforest and hiked to a waterfall. The hike was exciting, expecially "climbing" through the bamboo forest. One note, the tourguide will offer rubber boots for the hike....take the boots!

The bus tour around the island is a very good way to see the most scenic areas in one day with a no-stress ride. I can't recall the tour company but they leave from all the major hotels. The tour includes the Dole Plantation, the macadamia nut store, beautiful beaches and parks with a fun guide in a air conditioned bus. Lots of fun.
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Thanks for bumping this up, Sue54. Great tips here!