Search

NYC--Which airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Becky

NYC--Which airport?

We are planning a late March trip to NYC with our four children, ages 10-18. Which airport would be the most convenient, and what would be the best transportation from airport to our Midtown hotel? Since there will be 6 of us, I assume that we would not all be able to fit into one cab. If I can not find an economical service, my husband will probably want drag us through the subway system with all our baggage and children. We have done thids in London, so I am not kidding!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Jeanette

You can get easy transportation from all three. They have shuttle systems that can ride 6 at a time easily. One thing you should know that I didn't. That is that LaGuardia closes up like a tomb after 11pm. Something about being too near a residential neighborhood etc. So if, like us, you are stuck because of late flights or postponement and then get cancelled (like us again)- you will be literally stuck there. Shuttles to Newark & JFK etc. were even "closed." I do think that LaGuardia is probably the closest and quickest ride into Manhattan though. Heard a lot of people are opting for Newark lately. I think any of the three would be ok.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Becky

Will the shuttles give us a group rate, or will we be paying $20-$30 for each of the six of us?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 07:14 AM
howard

Laguardia is probably the closest and least costly for getting to NYC. I see these as the two best options:
1. Take two cabs (3 and 3), which would be the easiest and probably no more expensive (maybe even cheaper) than 6 bus or van tickets. And, it'll get you right to your destination.
Forget taking the subway. With 4 children and luggage, plus the thought of changing subways, etc., etc., forget it! Further, it's not that convenient to get to in the first place. Where are you staying? If it's not convenient to a subway station, what have you saved?
2. Find out how much a limousine would cost for the 6 of you. Try two of the larger limo companies in in New York to get an idea on price. Their toll-free numbers are 800-777-7777 and 800-666-6666. I can't speak for their quality, but at least you'll get an idea on price.
Tell you your husband, I think he'd be nuts if he tries to go the subway route!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Bebe

If you fly into JFK you can get a taxi into midtown for a flat rate of $30 plus tolls and tip. So for around $75 you could take two taxis. A limo large enough for six to eight people would probably run you around $120. I am not sure about Newark. I don't believe you can get a good flat rate on a taxi from there - might cost you double. There are buses into Port Authority Bus terminal that you could take and then grab a cab from there. This might be the cheapest option but quite a hassle. The best option for combining reasonable price with not too much hassle is the shuttle buses (like Super Shuttle). I also don't recommend the subway with all your baggage.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 09:34 AM
howard

I'm not sure if I agree with Bebe. I think the cheapest (aside from very inconvenient subways) might be the cab route. The shuttle has got to cost at least $10-12 each.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Bebe

I agree with Howard that two taxis might be cheaper and certainly more convenient than the shuttles if you fly into JFK or LaGuardia. I was suggesting the shuttles if you fly into Newark, where, I believe, a taxi will run closer to $60 into mid-town.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Becky

Thanks for all the info. Ithink that we wwill go LGA. I will try to find a car or Limo service(any suggestuins). Taxis will be the backup plan. Howard , I have enjoyed reading all your posts on NYC. But I couldn't get thru on the limo #'s that you gave. One was in Spanish. When I asked for English and asked about limos they said"wrong #" and hung up! The other # was no longer in service.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Caitlin

Those numbers are local, not toll-free: 212-666-6666 and 212-777-7777. Either a cab or a regular car from LGA will be around 435 with toll and tip (and could take three of you), so use that as a benchmark when asking about a larger car. You may be able to get a van with enough seating from one of the car companies for less than a limo.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 07:52 AM
AC

Hi Becky:
I think Caitlin meant $35.
You could get lucky at a taxi dispatchers stand in either LaGuardia or Kenmedy and get a minivan instead of a sedan. You could check with the dispatcher. There are also ground transportation booths in most airline terminals with information and help.
I personally dislike both airports but perfer flying into LaGuardia for convenience. Welcome to NYC!

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 11:17 AM
xxx

I've found that the flights into Newark are cheaper from the west coast and more than make up for the slightly extra cost that you might have to pay for transportation into the city. Olympia runs a shuttle for $10 per person into mid-town and is easy to use. Check airfares to the individual airports before you get too concerned about transportation.