Reload this Page >

NYC - Where to Stay!

Search

NYC - Where to Stay!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Kathy

NYC - Where to Stay!

Spending three days in NYC. Where to stay. Looking to do all the obvious tourist things and stay somewhere convenient (but nice). How about Marriott World Trade Center, Grand Hyatt (Park & Grand Central), or Renaissance Times Square? Open to other options. HELP!!!!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Joe

Don't stay in Times Square. I repeat don't stay in Times Square. I was there last week for three days and the shear number of people outside made it impossible to move.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 07:40 AM
don

I disagree with Joe, I really liked staying in the Times Square area. I found it very convenient and centrally located. Time Square itself is very touristy, with all the stores and theatres. We stayed at the Millinium Broadway just a half a block from Times Square. We went to a couple of plays, the theatres all within walking distance. The subway was just a couple of blocks away and made it very easy to get around the city. So i say if you are going to be a tourist, Times Square area is a good central location.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Frank

The Grand Hyatt is a good middle ground between the inconvenience of the World Trade Center and tourist Ground Zero of Times Square. Hyatt is centrally located but in a less crowded area particularly on weekends and evenings. Check Quikbook.com for a selection of hotels at good discounts.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:06 PM
rqf

Since you want to do the obvious tourist things the Renaissance is best in terms of proximity to the theater district. Also within walking distance of Central Park, Rockefeller Center, 5th AVenue shopping, Museum of Modern Art. Plenty of restaurants and excellent transportation options to get you most anywhere in the financial district, Tribeca, Soho, Little Italy,Chinatown, Lincoln Center and Natural History Museum. Least desirable in terms of location is the Marriott unless you intend spending most of your time in the financial district.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Owen O'Neill

The sidewalk congestion joe refers to is common in Times Square especially at night but is focused in the area immediately in and around Broadway and 7th Avenue from 42nd Street to 47th Street. As soon as one gets a few doors in from Broadway it's easy to move. Admittedly, the "new" 42nd Street can be crowded for much of the block between 7th and 8th but any of the hotels in the area should be easy enough to get in and out of. If your plans include Central park and some of the museums on the East side, the Hyatt Grand Central is a good location. It's a quick subway shuttle, cab ride or wlk to Times Square, immediately adjacent to the 4,5,6 trains that get you to the NYU area, Union Square, further downtown or uptown toward 2nd/3rd Avenue where there are many good restaurants to choose from. My only hesitation in staying in the immediate Time Square area would be noise but this varies based on hotel and room location.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 01:23 PM
lgmaumee

During my last trip to NYC, I also stayed at the Millinium Broadway and was very pleased with the hotel and the location. The hotel service and staff was great.