NYC w/ small children opinions please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am traveling this weekend (April 27-29) to NYC from Baltimore. We are staying at a hotel on the Upper West Side (75th and Broadway).

Would like suggestions for restuarants within walking distance. Children are 4 and 1 so would like to go to very kid friendly places but also, hopefully, with New York charm.

I bought tickets to see a show on Saturday morning (Gazillions of Bubbles) so that will be one activity. Also plan on spending time in Centeral Park and maybe the Childrens Musuem since it is close to where we are staying.

Also would like to visit one of the big toy stores. Is there a big difference between FOA shwartz and Toys r Us? Is one better, cleaner, less crowded?

Any imput/suggestions/opinions would be greatly appriated.

Thank You.

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:57 AM

ToysRUS in Times Square is HUGE and there is a Ferris Wheel in the window of the store that is 3 or 4 stories tall. I think the ticket is $5pp. and YES it will be crowded.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:03 AM

Toys R Us has a huge indoor ferris wheel and will be the more interesting of the 2 for the kids. The only thing at FAO S. that kids remember is the big piano keyboard (from the movie Big).

Big Nick's on Broadway & 77th st. is a good diner. Isabella's on Columbus ave. is a popular family place (gets hugely busy on weekends). If the kids are into dinosaurs, the Mus. of Natural History is very close to your hotel (and near Isabella's). Columbus Ave. is the nicer street to stroll with lots of shops and restaurants. I hope you're bringing a collapsible stroller for the 1 yr. old (and the 4 yr. old might wish he had a seat). Biggest issue for kids in NYC is all the walking.

Hopefully the weather should be great for you although current forecast for the weekend is sun but cooler.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:28 AM
GoTravel

A collapsable umbrella stroller not one of the bigger things.

Dine early (6PM) and you'll have no problems.

With a stoller, the city bus will be much easier than the subways.

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:50 AM

That's a mid/upscale family neighborhood and a lot of people eat with kids - esp if you eat early - before 8pm - which you will probably do with kids that age anyway.

Check out Zabar's - B'way & 80th for a great gourmet shop - and you can take out salads, sandwiches etc - to eat in the Park.

You might check the web site of Barnes & Nobel at 83rd - since it has a large childrn's department & often reading time or other kids activities.

For dining have a look at menupages.com. You can search by neighborhood (west 70's/80's), cuisine - and see diner reviews and actual menus.

Don;t miss Gray's Papaya - 72 & B'way - for a great hot dog and good drinks.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Agree on Musuem of Natural History if you get any bad wether (but it is always mobbed with local kids). Most kids like the dinos - and they two often have special activities for kids if you look at the web site.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:03 AM

The area you are staying is also know as "KidsLand". Sidewalks full of strollers (mainly doubles) and little ones on the running board or walking. All the restaurants have loads of kids especially early in the dining time. Good playgrounds in Riverside Park (our favorite is at 82nd) and Central Park.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:06 AM
mp

The Viand coffee shop at 75th and Broadway is good for breakfast or lunch - as is the Fairway Cafe, across the street and upstairs from the famious Fairway Supermarket. Both are VERY family friendly. In fact, pretty much everywhere on the UWS is family friendly.

For a bit more upscale experience, Nice Matin at 79th and Amsterdam has good food, outdoor seating and in the early hours (5 - 6:30) can be full of young families. There is a new Italian place at 75th and Amsterdam called San Luigi, where I've seen lots of families, but I haven't eaten there yet. there is a good outpost of Josie's, a group of 'california'-food, healthy and vegetarian food at 74th and Amsterdam, also.

As a Manhattan parent, I can tell you mclaurie and Go Travel are dead on - a folding stroller is crucial - otherwise you'll never get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time !!!!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for the information!

I was planning on taking one stroller but after reading all the posts we will take two umbrella strollers, one for each child.

Thank you for the resturaunt suggestions. I have printed them out and will, hopefully, be able to try some of them.

Thank you again!! natalie