Search

NYC - Times Square for New Year's Eve?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC - Times Square for New Year's Eve?

Hey there,

I know someone who is a single mom with two kids (18 and 8) who wants to do the whole Times Square thing for New Year's Eve this year. Just wondering if anyone knows:

a) a family-friendly economical place to stay, maybe mid-town
b) what time to get to Times Square on New Year's Eve
c) what to take with them
d) any other information they might need to know.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:31 AM

You mean she wants to take the 8 year old there? I think it is a bad idea and totally inappropriate. NYE is an adult holiday.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:48 AM

If you need to go to the bathroom, you lose your place to stand, areas are cordoned off by the cops and they will not let you back in. People start arriving early afternoon.

As far as hotels are concerned, it is the busiest tourist week in NY.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 07:40 AM

"an economical place to stay -- midtown" is perhaps the funniest part of your post. Sorry, don't mean to laugh, but it isn't going to happen.

I read these Times Square NYE posts and know the replies that will be coming. Perhaps you could repost with the title "Should I drive splints under my fingernails or spend New Year's Eve in Times Square?"
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 07:50 AM

I think that's a particularly ill-conceived experience. You arrive around 3pm and expect to stand without a bathroom break for 10 hours. Is this appropriate for an 8-year old? Well, only the parent can decide. Hotels can be extremely expensive that weekend in NYC, but you might find a bargain. I'd start looking, but I'd recommend you look for a hotel that is NOT in the immediate Times Square area.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 07:53 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...t-369890-2.cfm

and

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-york-city.cfm
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 09:02 AM

That is possibly the single most expensive night in the year for hotels - nothing will be exonomical - anywhere in te city.

And that mob is totally inappropriate for an 8 year old child.

To be anywhere neaar Times Square you have to arrive by no later than 4 pm (the subways into the area start skipping the Times Square staion then) and stand outdoors until midnight. Andy restaurants in the area are reserved far in advance at VERY high prices (dinner at TGIFridays is about $300 per person). One your bloc if full th epolic block you in with sawhorses and, although you can leave you can't get back in. You need to bring your own food and beverages (non-alchoholic with you) and all large bags and back-packs are searched.

You will end up in a mob of at lest a million people - and it will be at least 12:30 or 1 am before you can make your way out of the area.

I can;t imagine anyone wold subject an 8 year old to this. ( I did it once when I was in college on a warm New Year's Eve - in the 40's (you can easily get wind chills in the teens) and before any of this security was put in place. I would NEVER do this again - it ended up being extremely uncomfortable, cold and I was exhsuted for a couple of days afterward (try standing for 8 hours).

If you can find a bargain place to stay in the city I suggest you keep as far from Times Square as possible - and have a dinner at a casuale (and much less expensive) place on the upper est or west side and watch the fireworks over Central Park . This is crowded but nothing like the situation at Times Square - you can go 30 minutes in advance and get a good view.

If an 18 year old wants to go with friends fine - but this is NOT the place for a child - even if s/he did have the stamina.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Sorry - if you want hotel recos you need to give a budget. I would think you'll have trouble finding a room for 3 for less than $400 that night anywhere in the city.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Hey All,

Thanks for the replies - my mistake - the 8-year-old is actually 10; and my friend had heard that Green Day was performing live (and free) for the Carson Daly New Year's Eve show. Since the whole family are big fans, it seemed like something worth sussing out.

She's read all your comments and and thanks you for your input - she'll be taking them into consideration when deciding if and how to go forward.

Cheers,
towebgirl
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM

How many tunes do you think they are going to play?
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 12:37 PM

And even if they are, the 10-year old might be able to hear, but certainly won't be able to see. And 10 isn't that different from 8 in regards to this discussion.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 02:31 PM

Well a former neighbor of mine in N CA who was raised in Brooklyn but had spent years living in N CA took her two sons to NYC for NY Eve in Times Squares. She had never been to Times Square on NY Eve. Her sons were 11 and 13 years of age at the time. To say the whole idea was a complete disaster, towebgirl, is putting it midly. I can't remember all the details but I do remember an old friend of hers who still lived in Brooklyn told her to make her sons wear Pampers or whatever you call the adult diaper pants due to the bathroom situation. The boys refused and .. well consequently that was a disaster in it self.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 03:48 PM

LoveItaly

It all Depends.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM

8, 10, 15 - still too young and inexperienced to suffer through a NYE in Times Square. I did it years ago and my ass was black and blue from getting it grabbed several times during the night. That was late 70's. can't imagine it's any better. Really think about this. It could be a nightmare.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:07 PM

OK, Aduchamp, that did give me a great chuckle!
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM

When I was 18, I spent New Years Eve in TS with my boyfriend. I haven't recovered yet!
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:56 PM

cpg, I think I was there that year, too (seriously)!
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 07:49 PM

>

Seriously, it would be better to watch it on TV...just not worth the effort and expense - it would be ridiculously far from "free".
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 05:01 AM

If your friend wants the kids to experience a true New York City NYE appropriate for their ages, she can let them stay up until midnight and then have them go outside and bang some pots and pans together.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 08:15 AM

NY Traveler, I have to ask, dinner at TGIF's is $300 per person?? What do they serve on New Year's Eve?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -