Search

NYC theatre - Barefoot in the Park

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC theatre - Barefoot in the Park

We will be in NYC in February and we
're looking for a play to take our 16 year old daughters to. They have seen alot, including Mama Mia, Wicked, Lion King, Movin Out and Hair Spray. We had considered Jersey Boys but it's sold out. My friend sent me an e-mail about Barefoot in the Park which I believe opens later this month. Does anyone know anything about it? It's not a musical, which I would prefer, but it sounds like it might be good for teenage girls. Any other suggestions?
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 04:19 PM

Barefoot in the Park is a revival of one of Neil Simon's early comedies. Discount tickets are available on playbill.com and broadwaybox.com.
Since Jersey Boys is sold out for the performance you want, I assume you are coming over President's Weekend, which is a busy time. If so, I would suggest you get tickets soon for whatever you decide to see.
Your daughters might enjoy the revival of The Pajama Game starring Harry Conick, Jr. Previews begin January 19.
Other possibilities are The Phantom of the Opera or The Light in the Piazza.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Off-broadway at Dodger Stages, is Altar Boyz. It is a musical/spoof about boy bands. I saw a number of teenagers around us, and they seemed to enjoy it. As a 30+ year old woman, I also enjoyed the boyz. Also, my teenage niece really liked Rent, though it has some adult themes.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else?
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 05:52 AM

Teens love Rent (and the live production is much better thanthe movie).
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Any of the above suggestions are great- I fell in love with Rent on my 17th birthday!

I would also add Producers to the mix.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:18 AM

If Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is available it's a rousing fun show. I'd like to see Barefoot but it's not a musical. They did a movie of it with Robert Redford and Jane Fonda in the leads. YOu should rent it.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM

I have to say, as much as I liked Barefoot (the film) I'm not sure it would have been as funny to me as a teenager. It's about a young couple who has just gotten married, and the humorous conflicts they go through as they set up house and begin their marriage.

Renting the movie is a great suggestion- if your daughters find the film funny, they will probably enjoy the play.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:11 AM

One more suggestion (I'm sorry, my thoughts are scattered today!) is the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, if you can get tickets. My 16-year-old sister really enjoyed it, as did many adults I know (myself included).
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Spelling Bee is fun, but a very "small" show. I wouldn't pay full price for it. TKTS or broadwaybox only.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Sorry, mclaurie, but I don't agree that the size of a show should determine how much you spend for tickets.
I would gladly spend more for a "small" show like Doubt or Avenue Q than for many of the "big" shows on Broadway.
Quality should be the standard, not quantity! How good....not how big!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:20 PM

In theory I agree Howard. But the reality was I felt cheated paying Broadway prices for that show. It's cute, but it is what it is, a clever off Broadway show.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:18 PM

mclaurie, would you feel just as bad--or perhaps worse--if you paid full price for a bad big Broadway musical?
To me, a good show is just as good no matter what price I bad....and a bad show is just as bad no matter what price I paid. (Of course, you are allowed to kick yourself a little harder when you paid top dollar for a bad show!)
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Oh, I should learn to proofread before posting. Obviously, that word in the second paragraph after "I" should be "paid," not "bad"!