Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC suggestions for a loca resident tourist?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:50 AM
local

Hello.

I have been living in Manhattan for the past 5 months. I have done most of the touristy things. I am looking for some suggestions of things I can do here on the weekends. I have heard to go to South Street Seaport, walk on the Brooklyn Bridge, and to go for a Big Onion Walking Tour. I am interested in unique museums, walking hikes particularly with good views of mountains or ocean/water, and anything that is music and food related. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers!

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 05:16 PM
rqwf

The Central Park Conservancy offers a number of different one hour walking tours of Central Park. Go to www.central parknyc.org or call
(212) 360-2726.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 02:50 AM
evelyntrav

The local chapter of the Appalachian Mountain Club conducts many varied day tours on weekends to nearby areas. Their site is www.amc-ny.org. It is also a wonderful way to meet like-minded, friendly people.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Merilee

My suggestion is Wave Hill, a gorgeous garden and cultural center in the Riverdale section of the Bronx...it overlooks the Hudson River and the Palisades along New Jersey...there are indoor and outdoor garden and horticultural collections...there's also a gallery...you can have a light lunch in the Wave Hill Cafe...during the spring and summer there are many special events that sometimes include music...Earth Alive is April 20th and 21st...you can take Metro North to the Riverdale station and walk about blocks to 254th Street and then make a right on Independence Avenue to Wave Hill or Liberty Lines runs an express bus service to and from Manhattan (728)652-8400...you would get off at 253nd Street and cross the overpass and then turn right to Wave Hill...or you can take the #9 train to the West 231st station and then board the 7 or 10 bus to 252nd Street...it's open Tuesday through Sunday from 9-5:30 and it's closed on Mondays...$4.00 general admission...(718)549-3200...there's a good little restaurant on the corner of 231st and Broadway called El Malecon that serves really good Puerto Rican, Cuban, and Dominican food.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Philip

You might want to think about joining the volunteer agency New York Cares. The organization comes out with a monthly calendar of projects. Included are "Urban Adventures" for young people.

The kids tend to come from foster care agencies, family shelter's and housing projects. There are multiple groups and once a month a team leader arranges to take that group on a field trip.

While the kids have terrible living situations, they are not bad kids. In fact, most appreciate even the smallest of gestures like buying them an ice cream and taking an interest in them. The point is not to change their situation, you can't, but to give them an experience they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

In the year's that I've been involved, I've gone with groups to the Bronx Zoo, the Central Park Zoo, the Circle Line, Carnegie Hall for concerts, the Botanical Gardens, Yankee/Met games, sailing trips in the Harbor, the Circus and just about every museum in the city.

Anyway, I found it a great way to see and do things in NY that I otherwise wouldn't have been able, or motivated, to do. It also is a good way to help kids who really need it. The good thing about NY Cares is that it recognizes the hectic schedules that people have. Every gets the calendar, only team are obligated to commit on a monthly basis.

If you want to contact them it is www.nycares.org.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Philip

You might want to think about joining the volunteer agency New York Cares. The organization comes out with a monthly calendar of projects. Included are "Urban Adventures" for young people.

The kids tend to come from foster care agencies, family shelter's and housing projects. There are multiple groups and once a month a team leader arranges to take that group on a field trip.

While the kids have terrible living situations, they are not bad kids. In fact, most appreciate even the smallest of gestures like buying them an ice cream and taking an interest in them. The point is not to change their situation, you can't, but to give them an experience they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

In the year's that I've been involved, I've gone with groups to the Bronx Zoo, the Central Park Zoo, the Circle Line, Carnegie Hall for concerts, the Botanical Gardens, Yankee/Met games, sailing trips in the Harbor, the Circus and just about every museum in the city.

Anyway, I found it a great way to see and do things in NY that I otherwise wouldn't have been able, or motivated, to do. It also is a good way to help kids who really need it. The good thing about NY Cares is that it recognizes the hectic schedules that people have. Everyone gets the calendar, only team are obligated to commit on a monthly basis.

If you want to contact them it is www.nycares.org.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Owen O'Neill

YOu could probably do some weekends exploring various parts of brooklyn and/or Queens. there's the Brooklyn Botanical gardens with a fantastic rose garden and a recently restored Japanese garden/pond that's quite remarkable, antitique shops and mid-eastern restaurants in Carrol Gardens section of B'klyn, the cafe and movie theatre at BAM, the Brooklyn Heights area promenade w/great view of skyline, the Noguchi sculpture garden in Long Island City (I think this is where it's located and it is definitely in Queens w/subway access). Although some tourists go there, the Cloisters is a place many NYC folks don't always think of to visit. take a picnic lunch and enjoy the grounds in Fort Tryon Park w/incredible views of the river and the Palisades. If you have a car or access to one, drive 45 minutes or so upriver on the NJ side to Piermont NY and check out a quaint little river village w/a few decent restaurants and one exceptionally good one (Xavier's - suposed to be incredible and yes it is $$). There's a small restaurant in the village that has mediocre food but a great performance space that holds 75 people and has national acts such as Tom Rush, Jorma Kaukonen, Jimmi Dale Gilmore etc. - it's like watching them play in your living room. One of my very favorite music venues - check their schedule at www.turningpointcafe.com