NYC sights for our fifth visit Dec 6-11

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be our fifth trip to NYC during the holiday season (five days) and I am looking for some insider recommendations for neighborhoods/sights that we have not really explored yet. We are mid 50’s, very familiar with Midtown and the UWS, but still need to experience Soho, Greenwich Village, East Village, and anywhere else that you recommend (I always feel like I am wandering aimlessly in these areas, and I know you can help steer me in the best direction). We have done all the touristy stuff, and love the subway. Any recommendations for great neighborhoods (including their metro stops), restaurants(we eat everything…midrange $$$), museums shopping, etc.? Also, is the NY Botanical Garden worth the trip via Metro North train?
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 07:46 PM

Are you interested in museums, parks, shops, walks, off-the-beaten path restaurants?

How about visiting parts of Brooklyn or Queens?
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 09:57 AM

The New York Botanical Garden and the Bronx Zoo both have special holiday displays and activities. suggest you check out the web sites for details. (The Zoo is under the Wildlife Conservation Society, which runs all NYC zoos and aquarium).

And there's an express bus direct to the zoo - I believe it goes up Madison but the web site will have details.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful information, gtrekker and nytraveller. We have been to Brooklyn, but only as far as the first subway stop, to walk back to Manhattan across the Brooklyn Bridge. We would love to see more that Brooklyn has to offer! As far as sights, we like museums, shopping districts and restaurants that have great food without breaking the bank. We are avid walkers, just point us in the right direction! We would also like to see some of the pre-skyscraper architecture in the more historic parts of the city.....any recommendations?
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:22 PM

You might enjoy doing the foodsofny.com tour of the village which also gives you a good overview of the area.

The Municipal Arts Society has a tour of Brooklyn on the Sun. of your visit.
http://mas.org/viewarticle.php?id=1854

Head to the Tenement Museum (reserve a tour in advance) on the lower east side, another popular stop downtown.
Bigonion.com is another co. that does good walking tours of the various downtown areas.

You can also find lots of self guided walking tours online. One ex.
\http://www.nyc-architecture.com/walks.htm

Another idea is to buy yourself the NY Walks cards.
http://www.amazon.com/City-Walks-Yor.../dp/0811838447
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Take a day and go to the Bronx Zoo. It's a short subway ride from Manhattan, Exit Fordham Road right by Fordham University. Afterwards go to Robertos restaurant on Huges and Cresent Aves. This is the little Italy of the Bronx. It is all perfectly safe. I live in Westchester and always go to the Bronx. Enjoy
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 03:58 PM

If you like shopping, there is the Upcomer's Designers Market in Soho on the weekends. 268 Mulberry Street.

I love the East Village. There used to be a free walking tour although I don't remember the details. Also, I like walking around and exploring the East Village Community gardens. www.evpnyc.org
Cafe Orlin and Cafe Mogador are nice for brunch, Mogador is also good for dinner (Moroccan). Lots of Japanese food places in the area too.

Big Onion Walking Tours are great. There is also a Big Onion Waling Tour book for both Manhattan and Brooklyn. I've taken the Greenwich Village tour with them and enjoyed it.

Harlem and Washington Heights are also interesting. In Harlem, there is Little Senegal on W. 116th St (lots of African shops and restaurants), a little African style market between 5th Ave and Lenox (I think), W. 125th St is bustling with shops now, around W. 138th is Striver's Row and lots of old brownstone homes. In Washington Heights, there is Jumel Terrace, the mansion, Fort Tyron Park, and the Cloisters. I followed the Harlem walking tour in the Big Onion guide and found it very interesting.

Brooklyn...Park Slope and Prospect Park are lovely. Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, and Cobble Gardens are all also nice neighbourhoods. Again, I just followed the walking tours in the Big Onion Brooklyn Guide for these neighbourhoods and just wandered off on my own a bit.

Oh also, Red Hook, a Brooklyn neighbourhood, has lovely views if you decide to go there. It is a trek though. You can also take the Water Taxi from Manhattan to Red Hook which could be fun. If you go there, I had a nice meal at the Good Fork, and also, desserts and coffee at Baked. You could also get some of those famous Steve's Key Lime Pies. There is a Waterfront Museum on a boat in Red Hook, open only on Thurs evenings though.

Check out the Manhattan and Outer Boroughs (for Brooklyn) boards www.chowhound.com for the best restaurant suggestions.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

gtrekker2003
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again. Looking forward to some new experiences. Our walking shoes are packed...now let's hope the weather holds out for us! We actually come to NY to feel winter...it's a nice change from the 'sameness' of California! Happy Holidays.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 06:55 PM
dmlove

We actually come to NY to feel winter...it's a nice change from the 'sameness' of California!

pmh, we were in NY last week (also from California). It was ridiculously warm on Wednesday and Thursday. We were actually really happy it got cold on Friday and Saturday!

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 07:41 PM

We felt winter in NYC the 2nd weekend of November. Then after we were there it warmed back up!