Search

NYC restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 02:34 PM
embarrassed

NYC restaurants

OK, here's the story:
I'm a New Yorker, but apparently I don't get out enough. I have a promotional gift certificate from Restaurant Associates good for $50 at any of several of their restaurants (dinner only). Problem is, I've never been to ANY of them, and I don't want to choose solely based on proximity to my office.
So from the following list can you help me make an excellent choice?
NYers and tourists' comments welcome but I'm primarily interested in the food, not the "view" (so for example, Sea Grill has no appeal to me in terms of its location and, unless you say otherwise, not much appeal to me because I don't like seafood)
Thank you!

Brasserie
Brasserie 8 ½
Café Centro
Naples 45
Rock Center Café
The Sea Grill
Tropica
Panevino Avery Fisher Hall

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Z$

I used that coupon two weeks ago and I ate at the Sea Grill. I'm not a real seafood fan either but my meal was excellent. My wife and I enjoyed the food very much. I had grill sea bass and seafood chowder. For dessert, we had a fresh plate of berries. The entire bill was $115 without the $50 gift certificate. Wherever you decide to go a $50 gc is a good deal.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 04:36 PM
m

Panevino is the restaurant in Avery Fisher Hall- on the ground floor--- we have eaten there before a concert.I remember it being ok.Good if you want to be close by for a performance at Lincoln Center.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 06:07 AM
topper

ttt

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 08:10 AM
lisa

Embarrassed -- I've eaten at Brasserie 8 1/2, Naples 45, Sea Grill and Tropica.

Brasseries 8 1/2 is new and very hip, retro-70's decor. The food and service are excellent and the tables aren't jammed in together. It is great for a "special occasion."

Ditto Sea Grill -- delicious food, good service, plus the added treat of a great view of the ice skating rink. Perfect for out of town guests you want to impress.

Tropica and Naples 45 are more casual, with Naples 45 being the less casual. Tropica is also seafood and it's good, but I don't think it's as good as Sea Grill or Brasserie 8 1/2 (nor as expensive).

Naples 45 is less expensive and a totally different menu -- wood-oven pizzas, pastas, salads. Tasty, but nothing special.

HTH.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 04:54 PM

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:08 PM
jerry

my wife liked the sea grill...RA has a good reputation but somewhat pricey...enjoy your gift.