Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moving to Orange County - Should we consider Corona Del Mar?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Linda

Hi - My husband and I are moving to Orange County from Chicago. We currently live in downtown and we are very accustomed to walking everywhere. My husband will be working out of Irvine, but we want to live on the coast. We've checked out Corona Del Mar and really like it. Any suggestions or can anyone tell me about life in Corona Del Mar? Thanks!!!!!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 02:39 PM
c

Corona Del Mar is a great beach community. But housing is very expensive. And it may be difficult to find available housing. Last year, a co-worker looked for 5 months with brokers for a rental or small house to buy and finally gave up and bought in Irvine.

Fashion Island is just down the street from Corona Del Mar and is one of my favorite shopping malls. Lots of good restaurants in the area and nice side streets to take walks down to the beach.

If you can afford it, I think you'd really enjoy living in CDM.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 04:58 PM
xx

CDM is very expensive and the neighborhood is full of tourists walking around. I think there's a little stretch of northern Laguna Beach that has houses along the cliffs so there aren't as many tourists. In any case, the coast from Newport Beach and southward is beautiful and if you can afford to live there and don't mind it being busy, go for it.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 06:25 PM
cathy

I grew up in Newport Beach, but have lived in Boston and NYC. My husband and I also enjoy walking. Corona del Mar is one of the few places you can walk around in OC. The other place is Laguna Beach. If you can afford CdM, I would highly recommend it.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Dave

Linda
Corona Del Mar is nice, but the whole area is jam packed in the summer. Very difficult to get anywhere.

Look at Dana Point and San Clemente. Beautiful Beach Towns, easy to walk around, easy access to the trains and freeway. Only 10-15 min. from Irvine.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Tom

San Clemente and Dana Point is further away from Irvine than a 15 minute drive, particularly in the evenings or morning commutes. And the prices have become outrageous in those beach towns as well.