Reload this Page >

NYC pre- theater dining

Search

NYC pre- theater dining

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 05:13 AM
kristi

NYC pre- theater dining

We'll be in NYC at the end of October, have our theater tickets for Friday (Phantom of the Opera at the Majestic, 247 W. 44th) and Saturday (The Weir at the Walter Kerr Theater, 219 W. 48th) evening and are looking for some restaurant recommendations for pre or post theater dining. I'm not looking for 5 star French restaurants or trendy restaurants, just good food at a reasonable price. We like Mexican, Chinese, Italian, sea food, and cajun a lot. Thanks for any tips.

Also, how early do you need to eat before a 8:00 pm show and do you usually need reservations?

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 05:15 AM
Lori

46th Street between 8th and 9th Ave is known in NY as REstaurant Row. All of the restaurants have pre-theatre price fix dinners which usually start around 5pm. These places know that you need to make an 8pm curtain so do hurry you out. Try Orso, or Becco, both Italian and on 46th St. Becco has a wonderful wine list and a three course price fix that is well worth it.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 10:50 AM
lisa

Kristi: I will be interested to hear what you think of those two shows if you post a trip report when you get back. My friends and I were disappointed in "The Weir" but not sure if we caught it on an off night or what, as the reviews were great.
As a previous poster mentioned, there are tons of restaurants on 46th Street and many of them are good. You should definitely make reservations at places that take them. I usually make a reservation for 6 or 6:15 for pre-theatre.
You can do a search on this forum for previous threads on this topic, as there have been lots of them. If you put in "New York" "restaurants" and maybe "theater" you'll bring up a lot. My perennial favorite on restaurant row is Joe Allen's (W. 46th between 8th & 9th)-- casual atmosphere, good service, nothing fussy, and a nice variety on its menu -- everything from steak and fish to pasta. Reasonable prices by NY standards, very reliable, and you will occasionally see celebs there. For Italian I like Casa de Meglio, which is practically next door to where "The Weir" is playing on W. 48th St. I think it's a little bit pricier but the food is very good. Another great place close by is Le Madeleine -- no, not a "5-star" French restaurant but really fantastic food (it's all fab, but the desserts are to die for). They have a nice garden room. It's not inexpensive, but it's reasonable for NY and worth every penny. If you want to go super-casual and try REAL New York-sytle pizza, John's Pizzeria is it (260 W. 44th St). Other places nearby I like: Cafe Un Deux Trois (casual French bistro) and Osteria del Circo (run by the same people who run Le Cirque, but a lot less expensive -- still, a lot more reasonable at lunch than at dinner though).
A great website for restaurant info is newyork.sidewalk.com -- they have a feature that let's you find the name of a particular play or theater, and then click to find recommended restaurants nearby. For many of them they also have links to Zagat's reviews which are a great resource. Or you can see a list of restaurants that Sidewalk recommends in the theater district at http://newyork.sidewalk.com/nydining/theater
Good luck and have a great trip.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 11:27 AM
Howard

You'll do fine if you make dinner reservations for between 6 and 6:15. It's usually best to make reservations for that hour no matter where you go.
I think Becco on West 46th Street is the best bargain in the theater district. Definitely try its pasta special. Reservations are a must there (212-397-7597.
One correction of a previous poster: Not all the restaurants have prix fixe dinners in that area.
Another reasonably priced restaurant is Sam's on West 45th (between Broadway and Eighth). It's very much like Joe Allen's, but we find the food better! (212-719-5416)
Orso is good, but more expensive.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 12:53 PM
kristi

Thanks for all the suggestions! I usually end up wandering around looking for restaurants but I'd rather have set reservations for nights we have theater tickets. I will be sure to post a trip report, Lisa. "The Weir" looked interesting, has good reviews and after paying full price for "Phantom" tickets, the discount tickets for "The Weir" were welcome(from www.playbill.com). It wasn't my first choice, but "Cabaret" was practically sold out and "Death of a Salesman" tickets were pretty far back.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 01:33 PM
howard

Brief postscript: I would not recommend just walking around looking for a restaurant at pre-theater time! Make the reservations!

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 05:44 AM
Karen

Sardi's is very good and you can make reservations via their website.

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 05:47 PM
Edward

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 05:51 PM
Edward

I must, in all good conscience, disagree with the above poster on the merits of Sardi's. This used to be THE place for opening nights, but it has turned into a veritable tourist trap. The food was mediocre at best, and the service is another story. I ordered a prix fixe dinner, and the waiter had the audacity to remind me after EVERY course that gratuity was not included. When he brought the bill, he reminded me AGAIN, and circled the note which informs customers of the same thing on the receipt, I told him I'd take that into consideration, and then left a literal two cents on a $60 check and vowed never to go back for dinner there again. However, as it is admittedly a site of much theatrical lore, it might be worthwhile to stop in for a drink after the theater, that way the waiter can't keep pestering you about the gratuity.

Edward

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 04:45 AM
howard

I also would not recommend Sardi's. Overpriced, with average to mediocre food. Edward's suggestion about stopping for drink if you want to experience Sardi's is a good one.

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 12:48 PM
lisa

I just don't get what the big deal is about Sardi's. Not only are there many much better places to eat in the neighborhood, there are better places to go for a drink too. I wouldn't give them my business anymore -- the service is terrible. They have been coasting on their reputation for some time now.