Search

NYC Plans - Oct

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Plans - Oct

I am planning my first trip to NYC - Oct 16 - 21 with my husband. These are my plans - please be gentle but honest.

Our plane gets in at 11:25 am - hoping to be at The Mansfield by 1:00
NYC Public Library - Bryant Park
The Rock / Radio City
Times Square
Toys R Us

Wondering IF we should go to Empire State building first - it will still be light out - debating to do Empire State Or Top of the Rock OR do Empire during day and Rock at night - since it is close to hotel...

First full day is On Location tour - its TV and Movie tour - I know several people are not fans of tours but we are huge movie buffs and hoping this tour will knock out several of the "yep saw it" but not necessarily have to see inside. After the tour - up in the air - want to see Phantom

Fri -Grand Central Station
Trinity Church
Engine Ladder 10
9/11 Memorial
Statue of Liberty
Little Italy – SoHo – Heath Ledger apt
Washington Square Park*
Empire State*

If the On Location tour takes us to Washington Park and IF we do Empire first day we wont repeat. I know this is tons to do in one day and Grand Central is close to hotel and it can be moved but when planning we would be leaving from Grand Central to 9/11 Memorial

Saturday -Hell’s Kitchen Flea Market
Circle Line tour

Thinking two hour circle line tour - read three hours can be a bit much.

Tea & Sympathy - tea and all things British

Sunday - Museum of Nat History - Central Park - 5th Ave - The Dakota - The Plaza etc.

Monday our plane leaves at 6pm - maybe anything we missed or want to see again.... head to airport at 2pm

We have decided to pay for a car service. Planning to visit Serendipity - highly recommended and Eataly. Open to other food recommendations!!
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 12:24 PM

get advance tickets for the 9/11 memorial or you may be standing in a line. They are offered on line and time stamped. Café LaLo is one of favorites for breakfast or coffee and sweets or dessert. Will be in NYC next week and trying all new restaurants so will report on any we thought were worth while. No Ellis Island? I think it is a great tour...Also my favorite thing is the Lower Eastside Tenement Museum. HIGHLY recommend it. Again tickets on line or you may not get in. They often sell out. Google it for more information. There are several apartments and tours to take each one offering a look into the lives of our ancestors and how they lived and what they had to endure when they arrived.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 01:14 PM

Shar, Ellis Island has been closed since Hurricane Sandy with no opening ate announced yet.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 02:12 PM

thanks Abram.....wasn't sure if it reopened as I heard Liberty Island opened.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Ellis Island would have been a must see!! Sad that it is closed "indefinitely"

I have seen bits about the Tenement Museum - I may have to add it - thanks
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 06:36 PM

Most prefer Top of the Rock to ESB. Better organized, more open views, faster to get up and view OF ESB. If you do both, TOTR is better in daylight or dusk to view Central Park which isn't lit at night.

Toys R Us is a madhouse. Unless you're bringing kids, give it a miss. Times Square is an UBER madhouse. See it at night with everything lit and then leave. You ahve time for moer pn arrival day. What do you plan for the evening?
Since Ellis Island is closed, I see no reason to go to ten SOL. Take a cruise and pass it. Nywatertaxi.com is a good alterenative to Circle Line. The Tenement Museum si worth considering.

I'd go to the Museum on Monday, not Sunday when it's more crowded.

Serendipity is highly recommended by whom??? Frozen hot chocolate is popular but that's it. While youre over there consider riding the Roosevelt Island tram for great views.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Can you see inside Toys R Us from the street? Had planned to just walk by.... No reason to visit SOL? I had wondered WHAT there was once you get to the island? We want good pictures.

Maybe add Museum of Nat History on first day - or maybe ESB at dusk - worried about long line.

Being Oct can we expect it to get dark around 5??

I know there is so much to see and do in NYC - I also know it can get overwhelming and hard to pick what to add....

When I travel I do like to pack in as much as I can - you never know when you will be back etc.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 08:00 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There is an excellent museum inside the SOL and then you can go up inside, can't imagine why you would ever skip it.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

SOL is still on the agenda. I am liking Roosevelt Island tram!! and Tenement Museum
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 08:40 AM

I am a big flea market person in general, and I think the Hell's Kitchen market is hugely disappointing. The Antiques Garage on 25th is better--or was--it was rumored to be closing, and I haven't checked in the past six months or so--but still not as great as it was ten or twenty years ago. I personally would not go out of my way to go to the Hell's Kitchen market. If you're in the area though, you could take a quick look.

Go to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum. It's great!

Skip Toys R Us. If you're looking for a toy store experience, go to FAO Schwarz (5th and 58th). Much better!
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Disappointed about Hell's Kitchen flea market - we will be in the area for The Circle line tour - I have added the Chelsea Market and will check out Antiques Garage sale - thanks.

Have added Lower East Side Tenement Museum - Dylan's Candy bar - Roosevelt Island Tram - planning to just walk by Toys R Us.

Any thoughts on Frankie and Johnnies - Alice's Tea Cup - Dylan's Candy Bar - Mercota - Doughnut Planet - Shake Shack - Burger Joint at Le Parker - Gray's Papaya???