NYC on Thursday with teen and tween

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw there is another similar thread, but seemed to veer off mostly to restaurants, plus didn't cover having young ones in tow.
Anyway - does anybody have any recommendations for must see Christmas sights? We have been in to the city before, and have seen the major things - Rockerfeller center, Wollman rink... We will have a 16 year old daughter and our 11 year old son with us.
Also would like recommendations on inexpensive places to eat - kids are very picky/ typical kids stuff - burgers, pizza etc.
We will only be in for one day, and really are looking more for sights than shows as the budget is limited.
Also, maybe somewhere to stop for hot chocolate / coffee/ pastries?

Thanks!
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 04:24 PM

You've got good ideas. Here are some more: http://gonyc.about.com/od/christmass...tmaswindow.htm

Don't worry about finding places for burgers, pizza, etc. They are all over the place. It's better to pick a restaurant that looks good to you than to devote your limited time to tracking down a place somebody might recommend. Have a great time.

HTTY
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM

If you haven;t been to the Museum of Nat'l Hist you may want to do that. They have a great origami tree and exhibits loved by kids (and adults) of all ages.

If you haven't done Top of the Rock definitely do that.

If you just want to grab a basic meal there are a ton of casuale places all over the city - not great food but you won;t go hungry. You might want to consider Ellen's Stardust if you've never been there - basic diner fare but the wait staff are wanna be B'way chorus boys and girls and their performances can be fun.

There are a lot of special events for the holidays - so you might want to check out the New York Magazine web site for events - you can search by date and category.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 05:38 PM

I'd suggest taking them to Bryant Park to see the skating rink, and holiday market, then walk down to Macy's and see the windows, and send a letter to Santa.

All over that area are food choices the kids will love so there won't be a problem finding something. Hot chocolate to be had at Bryant Park too.

From Macy's walk over to 5th Ave and up 5th to see the windows and then Saks and the tree at Rock Center, and that should eat up all your day.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - we've actually been to Ellen's Stardust before but I'd forgotten about it and I'm sure they would like to go back. I'm thinking maybe we'll skate at Bryant Park since we skated at the Wollman rink last time.
I'll check out Top of the Rock - is that best done during the day or at night at this time of year. Not sure if it's in our budget either but thanks for the suggestion. Seems to be a popular suggestion on these message boards - hoping somebody can fill me in as to why?
The link helps me figure out which way to go to see the best windows and it looks like it takes us right past Rockerfeller Center too
Thanks everyone and keep the suggestions coming!
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 05:09 AM

Top of the Rock gives a great view of the city, including Central Park and the Empire State Building. 1 of the first things I do when I go to a city is look for a vantage point like that to see the city. I would recommend doing it right before sunset to see the change.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Top of the Rock is better in daylight. Otherwise Central Park is a big black hole. Here's a coupon for $2 off at TOTR. http://www.newyorksmartsave.com/Top-of-the-Rock.html I think there's hot chocolate by Max Brenner at Bryant Park.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 07:06 AM

If you decide to travel around the city a bit, you might try the East Village, around 8th St (St. Mark's Place, just East of 3rd Ave). Lots of local "color" there and some interesting stores for the kids.
Tons of restaurants in the area the kids will like too. A fav of mine is just around the corner, and the kids will talk about it for years, is Pomme Fritte. The BEST fries ever and lots of choices for dipping sauces.

Up the street on 1st and 11th is Venieros for pasteries. As you walk in there is a long display case of every pastery made, and the kids would enjoy picking out some to eat and some to take home.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Um, I'm afraid these kids are WAY too old for letters to Santa - it's a teen and a tween - not 4 or 5 year olds.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Forbidden Planet-Broadway and 13th Street-Scifi stuff

Evolution on Spring Street-Bones and stones and things kids like

Economy Candy-old style candy store on Rivington Street with every candy available on the planet.

Donut Plant-Grand Street-makes damn fine donuts and that's all they make (bseides churros)
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Second the recommendation for Bryant Park. there is also a holiday market at Grand central station. Macy's and Sax have wonderful windows. St. Patricks is beautiful. Its fun to be out and about at night to really see the lights.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I think maybe we'll try the East Village to mix it up a bit - Venieros looks good,and I had heard good things about Pomme Frite before - so fries for lunch followed by pastries? Far from healthy but sounds good!!
Thanks for the Top of the Rock coupon, too..
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 08:32 PM

The letters to Santa at Macy's are fun computerish and done right ON the window. I did two, so far,,,,,,I'll bet the kids would like to try it. lol.

Ohhh yes Pomme Fritte is so good. The place is tiny and there's usually a line especially on the weekends. The kids will want to come back to NYC just to go there again. lol.

Have FUN.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM

Other places kids might like in the neighborhood

On the next block south from Pomme Frites, is a kosher bakery called Moshe's who makes excellent rugelach and strudel among other things.

On East 10th Street off the corner of 3rd Ave there is ice cream store where the make their own called Cones.

There is a new place on Ave B and East 3rd where they make store made soft pretzels. A bit pricey at $3 but 100x better than the stuff you get at a street vendor.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 05:53 AM
mp

Adu - actually the 10th St ice cream place is " Sundaes and Cones" - over on Bleecker and 7th Avenue is the Argentinian gelato place Cones.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 06:47 AM

I took 3 16 yr old girls to NYC last weekend, and all 3 of them did the computerized letters to Santa at the Macy's window, without any suggestions from me...some thigns are still magical and fun, even at age 16.

And I did one also! Some things are magical and fun, even at age 54.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 06:51 AM

Hot Chocolate: Take them to St. Makrs in the East Village- lots of shops for their age there to browse in. Here are two hot choclate palces there- see this list, #1 and 2 on the list

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...te.html?cat=22
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 07:06 AM

I am sorry to report that Australia on St, Marks has closed and yes they made the best hot chocolate. They would take chocolate ice cream, add a little milk and then put it under the steam attachment from the cappucino machine.

Try it at home or some variation on that.

You are right MP on Cones and Sundaes and Cones and then there are my cousins the Cohens. (I did not realize the place on Bleecker was Argentinian.)
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Max Brennars is really good for hot chocolate.

Also Jacque Torres has a location in Soho (w/good hot chocolate), right around the corner from the NYC Fire Dept Museum, which my teens liked. Nice 9/11 exhibit and tribute there.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Max Brenner on 2nd Avenue is closed, although the one Broadway is sill open. And is fine for kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -