NYC on St. Patrick's Day

Search

NYC on St. Patrick's Day

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC on St. Patrick's Day

We will be in NYC the week of St. Patrick's Day. Staying in Midtown East (E39 & 2nd). I expect lots of congestion on the day of the parade, would dearly love suggestions about what/where/when to join the festivities.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 06:26 AM

The Parade starts at 42nd and 5th. Anywhere north of 45 street will be the best viewing point. Better yet, if you have some ancestral tie to a particular region or group, why not march in the parade? Contact the AOH if you're interested in marching.

In terms of the rest of the day, I don't think you'll have a problem finding an Irish bar to celebrate. Some of my favorite spots are Kennedy's on West 57th and 8th, Thady Con's on 2nd and 48th and a whole string on places the further north you go on 2nd Avenue. Expect each place to be really, really crowded.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 06:54 AM

Festivities are all over the place- in every Irish bar (and there is one every few blocks), and spilling out on to the sidewalks. Lots of fun, but also lots of amateur drinkers who can't hold their liquor. So, wear old clothes (and shoes), and seriously--keep an eye on your wallet. Especially when you are distracted while watching the parade. I would also plan on having dinner somewhere that they might be serving a traditional Irish menu - corned beef hash, cabbage, etc.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:11 AM

I was in NYC on St. Patrick's Day many years ago....we went to Mass near the parade route. Would that be St. Patrick's cathedral? Maybe someone else can confirm. It was beautful.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:13 AM

First of all, realize that the city will be mobbed - unless there is a blizzard in exess of a million people come to either march in or view the parade. Crosstwon traffic will be at a standstill and N/S bound little better.

The best viewing - but also the most mobbed is the official grandstan across from St. Pat's. I prefer to view north of there - mid 50's - since it doesn;t get so backed up as it does below St Pats.

Every bar will be mobbed - and the area where the parade ends - 86th st - is quie disgusting that day (drunks lying in the streets etc) - avoid it at all costs.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks. Sounds like we are staying a bit below the thick of the festivities, but I do understand surface traffic will be locked up. Anyone care to suggest a particularly good venue for a bit of celebrating and wearing o' the green? How about a place for good Irish food that day?