Reload this Page >

NYC on College Student Budget

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 09:06 PM
Patricia Jackson

A group of college students is heading to NYC as first-time tourists in mid-March 1998.We've got a budget hotel lined up in mid-town, but would greatly appreciate any suggestions for cheap eats, activities, tours, tickets, arts events, festivals/fairs/etc., transportation, other amusements/diversions, and any other tips which would make our stay enjoyable and economical.

Old Feb 17th, 1998, 04:31 PM
Christine

How exciting! I've lived in New York for 10 years and I never get tired of it! My first advice is to avoid the mid-town/Times Square area. Terribly touristy and the glitzy atmosphere will wear-off quickly. First thing- Pick up a copy of the Village Voice or the New York Press, both are free, and list all kinds of fun stuff. For cheap food: try 6th street between 2nd and 3rd avenues for inexpensive Indian food. While in the East Village, check out the bars, restaurants and shops- all great for 20-somethings. (FYI- There's been a crack-down recently on under-agers. Bring I-D) Lots of bars with live music have no cover: My favorites are the Rodeo Bar and Arlene Grocery. You MUST go to the Metropolitan Museum, but don't pay the suggested price of $8-for students on a budget, a buck or 2 is fine. MOMA is also a must-see; go on Friday night after 5pm, that's when admission is pay what you wish (again, $1-2 is ok). I hate to suggest it because I avoid it like the plague, but the St Patricks Day parade is one experience you won't soon forget. Or better yet, just head to any Irish bar afterwards!. Feel free to e-mail me for more specific info on fun restaurants etc.

Old Feb 17th, 1998, 05:31 PM
glenn rogers

You cannot come to NYC without seeing a Broadway show. Don't panic, it will not cost you anything near the $75 that the ticket prices are going for today. Every day in Times Square 1/2 tickets go on sale for that days performances. Look for the TKTS sign(or just look for the line of bargain hunters). Matinee seats go on sale at 11AM, while evening performances go on sale at 3PM. Not all shows are available, but most are. Have a great time!!!!

Old Feb 17th, 1998, 05:32 PM
glenn rogers

You cannot come to NYC without seeing a Broadway show. Don't panic, it will not cost you anything near the $75 that the ticket prices are going for today. Every day in Times Square 1/2 tickets go on sale for that days performances. Look for the TKTS sign(or just look for the line of bargain hunters). Matinee seats go on sale at 11AM, while evening performances go on sale at 3PM. Not all shows are available, but most are. Have a great time!!!!

Old Feb 17th, 1998, 08:20 PM
Pat Jackson

Christine: Thanks so much for your very helpful suggestions--the museum "tips" are great..so are the bar "leads"---we would appreciate names of any specific deli restaurants, Italian, pizza, burgers, or any ethnic restaurants which would be geared to the "low budget" crowd. We'll be in NYC 10 days! Yikes! Thanks for any additional help you can provide.