Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Two Danes arrives in NY in april, and depart from LA about a month later. Buy or rent a car??

Search

Two Danes arrives in NY in april, and depart from LA about a month later. Buy or rent a car??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 10:00 AM
Kenneth Eriksen

Hi there!
We are two guy's from denmark (aged 23 & 25) who have plans about travelling around the states for about 1-1½ month. We r considering wether to buy or rent a car, while we r there. We have also heard, that it's possible to get a hold of a renalcar that needs to be transported back to a car-rental company in another city/state. Is this safe? And what is the cheapest thing to do?
By the way: IS Graceland really closing?????
Hope 2 hear from 1 of u

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 12:40 PM
Ronald

Buying and selling cars is easy. Problem is will you be able to buy insurance? Many states require mandatory insurance coverage. Rental seems a more practical solution considering everything. You can normally rent and drop off the car at destination paying a drop off fee.

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 06:47 PM
Carl

I had a friend visit from New Zealand this summer. He was able to book a rental through Hertz at rates that we could never get in the US. His bookings were done before he left New Zealand. One surprise to me was that he was able to get a car with unlimited mileage and one way rental priviledge by getting the car from Hertz in Cleveland, Ohio instead of New York City. I would not suggest buying a car unless you plan on taking it home. Insurance and registration would be a nightmare. Also, if you rent, check to see if your credit card will cover the collision damage waiver (some do). This can easily save you up to $15/day on the rental. Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful visit.

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 07:02 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Kenneth: Don't know about Graceland (I think they have a web-site so you can E-mail them direct) but I do have a few suggestions about a car: if you
RENT one, you can turn it in in L.A. and that's the end of your responsibility. BUYING one means dealing with licensing and insurance and--aside from the fact that you'll be entering the US in one of the MOST EXPENSIVE areas for both--I'm not sure how the authorities would handle two persons who do not have a permanent US address. (For renting that's less of a problem, but I'd still suggest you check with the Danish equivalent of the American Automobile Association to be sure you have all the ID that you need.) I'd also point out that there are VAST distances as you cross the US from coast to coast that are just plain BORING. I'd consider picking out the stops in between that you'd like to visit and then travel between them by train, plane, or Greyhound (cheapest) bus. I've spent a good deal of time in Denmark myself and am very fond of it; but I think most Danes would have absolutely NO IDEA of the distances involved in surface travel.
Now as to delivering a car in exchange for the transportation, I've known people who have done it; but the BIG problem for a non-US resident who wants to do this is that the car owner usually wants his car at the destination very quickly. They set an arrival time for you. No time for sight-seeing and you must travel by the most direct route. Also, though they'll probably swear the car is in good condition, you can't always be sure. They would naturally promise you re-imbursement for any repairs you had to pay for but they won't advance you any money. The agents who set up these arrangements usually advertise in the classified ad section of the NEW YORK TIMES. If I can be of more help, please E-mail me direct. God rejse! Joan

Old Feb 18th, 1998, 02:15 AM
Mary

The other posters seem so negative about buying a car but I don't know that I would agree. On one of our trips to Europe we bought a van in Holland and traveled in it for 8 months. We sold it back to the same people we bought it from.....they also helped out with registration and insurance forms etc. Maybe there are places in the US that do that too? Certainly buying a used car will be *far* cheaper than renting or leasing a car. I really don't know that it would be so hard to get insurance etc. I doubt it actually. We had a German friend visit us a few years ago and he bought a car in California for his month long visit.
If he could do it then I don't see why it's not possible now.
I've known other foreign visitors to do such in the past too.
Ask in the Danish Auto Club I'd say. And the guy above is right about how fast they make to travel when you are shuttling a car across the country. And this is a *very big* country......boring in the middle (Iowa, Kansas etc).