Search

NYC on a shoestring

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2000, 07:30 PM
LA

NYC on a shoestring

Two of us will be driving to NYC in early March. We are typical college students-poor. I was wondering about a cheap, decent hotel or would it be better to stay at a hostel? Do hotels and hostels have parking? What are some decent, quaint bars? What about carding in bars-does it happen often? What about must-sees and must-eats for a first-timer in NYC? What sort of outerwear will we need in March? Thanks for any help!

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 04:32 AM
arjay

LA (Just finished reading your informative Charleston post - we're headed there in March). NYC on a shoestring is kind of an oxymoron - it's a costly town! Anyway, I can answer one portion of your question -- re parking. Fergiddaboutit! Nope, parking is not included at any of the hotels -- and the garages are quite pricey. But it IS a fun city and I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip. Good luck to you.

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 08:14 AM
mwg

I'm sorry not to be able to give hotel recommendations. However there are many special things in NY that can be done on a shoestring. Chinese (and Vietnamese) restaurants in Chinatown, Indian restaurants in the East Village (there's a whole street of them), Pizza anywhere, and ethnic restaurants of all types in Brooklyn and Queens are cheap and great. The Metropolitan Museum of Art has a policy of asking you to pay what you want to pay. The Staten Island ferry has a great view of the harbor, lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty and costs $0.25. Walking in the different neighborhoods is totally free. There's plenty to see and do in NY that won't set you back financially.

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 08:39 AM
NYC fan

Dear LA,

The Alladin is cheap - 90 bucks and is 3 blocks away from Times Suare, BUT you have to share the bathroom with others on same floor. If you stay at their hostel (same building) the price is even cheaper. If you want something nice but relatively cheaper, try the Travel Inn which is $140 and in the same area. Cheap food - you can't beat pretzles on the street(and other food from the street vendors). The food is cheap and tastey. Good luck, oh yeah, museums do not have set prices, instead it is a recomendation which you can follow or not. We pay a buck each for museum entrances.

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 09:20 AM
Owen O'Neill

There's a "Mr. Cheap's" book series - try to get the book on NYC and I imagaine they have a website by now - look for it. he has loads of ideas for free/cheap things to do. When you get there try to find a current copy of the NY Press or the Village Voice. They both have lots of listings for free and cheap stuff. Save your 25 cents - the Staten Island Ferry is now FREE! It's a great ride and the absolute best way to see the Statue of Liberty and the NY skyline in one easy trip. Get a pass (Metrocard) for NYC transit and use it - great, fast way to get everywhere and transfers (bus to subway or the reverse) are free. You can park secure at the garage next to the Newport Pavonia PATH train station - $12 incl tax for every 24 hours. It's just south of the Holland Tunnel entrance and the train is only $1 each way - runs every 15 minutes (or thereabouts). I know where you can park safely in NJ for free and get to NY on an express bus or train in 30 minutes but please write me direct for this bit of info - I don't want my neighborhood cluttered with long term parkers or I'll lose my space! Hostels are $22-27 each person (last time I checked). You can probably get a "shared bath" type of room in a decent older hotel for $70-80 per night for two people. It does offer more privacy than a hostel and you can probably get a better location. If you plan to stock up on foods that you can eat in the room or use to make bag lunches do NOT shop in any of the convenience market or so-called (it's what their signs always read) "gourmet" delis that are all over midtown. Get to a neighborhood and find a regular grocery store. They're not abundant but I know there are a few on the upper West side, at least one in the Village (near Washington Square park and NYU) and one on lex or 2nd Ave north of the Murray Hill area. It's the little things that eat away at discretionary funds in NYC - the $1.50 bottle of water, the $1.75 cup of coffee, etc.. Find a way to handle this stuff and you CAN do the city on a budget. I stock up on dried and fresh fruit, get some zip-lock's to carry the stuff, get 1 gallon bottled water and then fill a few small bottles that I carry with me etc.. It works. Have fun.

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 10:40 AM
CU

As for carding in bars, when I was at Columbia in the early 90's it was unheard of in the neighborhood (Morningside Heights, 103rd to 125th Streets between Amsterdam and the Hudson River) but that was before the days of "Benito" Giuliani. Nowadays they'll card your grandma. Still, I'd guess Morningside Heights and the East Village would be the best places to try your luck.

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 12:13 PM
Tom

I would suggest looking into the following inexpensive hotels in Manhattan.
1. The Chelsea Savoy. Located in the trendy gay Chelsea neighborhood - lots of great restaurants nearby. Small, relatively new hotel.
2. The Murray Hill Inn - located in quiter Murray Hill neighborhood, small "European" style hotel.
3. Howard Johnsons on Park Ave. South. Also in Murray Hill. Small and quiet.

These three hotels are probably among the cheapest hotels in Manhattan, and while not located in the bustling Times Square area, are within a few minute walk from there. They are clean and safe as well. check out their websites, they each have one.

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 01:26 PM
Owen O'Neill

I can second the motion for HoJo on Park Ave South. I stayed there for $90 or $95 per night last winter, breakfast was included in the price (juice, bagels, cereal etc.) and they had valet parking for somewhere in the vicinity of $18 per day (24 hrs) INCLUDING taxes (parking taxes and fees in NYC are about 18% or 19%). The room was very small but acceptable. the catch is this: I attempted to rebook there a few weeks later as spring was approaching and was quoted $259 per night for the same room! When I complained and mentioned the price I'd gotten previously they said it was a busy time and rates fluctuate. They offered to lower it to $159 but their rooms simply aren't worth that much (anything up to $100 is a good price for that facility).

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 03:39 PM
sabrina

There is a Comfort Inn in Times Square where the rooms were $89/nite when I stayed there in March. Rooms are tiny and it's always booked but it's worth a shot.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 03:35 PM
Debbie

I stayed at the Habitat Hotel at 57th and Lexington a few weeks ago. The rate was $79/night with a shared bathroom. The room was small, but very nice for this price. The hotel is in the process of being renovated and the furniture in my room looked brand new. Breakfast
(muffins, bagels, coffee etc) is included and the neighborhhood is safe and lively.

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 06:00 AM
New York Student

LA -- if you really must drive to New York (and I wouldn't recommend it for the reasons that Arjay states), there is a relatively cheap parking lot in Murray Hill (40th b/w 1st and Second). It costs $16 to park there for 24 hours. Compare that to $50 a NIGHT in midtown and you've got a steal.

Also, if you don't mind where you lay your head at night, I'd recommend a hostel. Try a low end travel guide -- Fodor's UpClose (which I used for Paris) is a great one!

As a former NYU student, I can assure you that New York is doable on a budget -- just keep an open mind and try new things! Also, try hanging out in the village -- where all the rest of the students seem to be. The east village is always raging and you won't have any problems getting into bars there.

Have a blast!