NYC on a budget

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC on a budget

My husband and I are going to NYC June 3 for a few days. We're looking for a room with cooking facilities to try to save some $$. I would prefer the UES or the Village. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:44 AM

This is on the UWS, but I thought I'd mention it.
www.jacksbandb.com
We are staying there in August.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:52 AM

I think there are some aprtment type facilities in the village area. The affinia group has hotels in various city locations (but not in the willage), that have kitchens. You can check their website www.affinia.com. look in the special offeres area for some good deals. You may also consider priceline. Check biddingfortravel.com. Odds are you're not going to end up in a place with a kitchen, but you'll get a great deal. There are many economical ways to eat in Manhattan, and many reasonably priced restaurants.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:55 AM

here's a link with a list of hotels in the village area. Some are apartment type units with kitchens.

http://www.hotelsanddeals.com/new_york_university.html

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies and great ideas! I had never heard about bidding for travel- ( new to this forum ) but priceline actually does not offer hotels in the Village- arggghhh!
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:14 AM

My husband and I are going to NYC in June too! We're renting a studio apartment from www.metro-home.com,in the Village. It's inside a building called the Atrium. I believe this particular website used to be known under another name--something to do with "hospitality." Check out their website--they have apartment rentals in other parts of the city too.

I'm so excited about this trip! I'm sure the studio will be tiny but it will be nice to have small kitchen facilities, plus a couch, table, and chairs so that our only furniture isn't a bed in the hotel room.
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:51 AM

We're staying at the Milburn hotel in July. We're staying in a studio room with a kitchenette - but they have studios as well. Our studio is starting at 135$ - read tripadvisor.com's comments on the hotels. I think the cheapest I found was travelocity or the website for the hotel itself. (I don't remember what it is, I just googled it) It's on the Upper East side.
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:22 PM

Hi gotphish...does the Milburn studio. studio rom or any other type of accommodation have a stove as well as a microwave?. I am considering staying there too and will be in NYC for a few weeks so will want to do some cooking as well as eating out. Thanks.
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:19 PM

No - I checked their site again. Just a micro.
Checkout milburnhotel.com

Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:54 PM

Thanks a lot gotphish.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:57 PM

Here's a website I actually found for Peteralan that lists hotels with kitchen facilities. I believe there are 2 in the village-Morton St suites & something on Minetta Lane. Don't be misled by the URL. It has nothing to do with Priceline.

http://www.readio.com/nychotels/priceline.html

On the ues, there's Affinia's Surrey hotel but it's not cheap. Lyden Gardens (also Affinia) is in the east 50's.

Curious about your choice of village or UES. 2 very different areas.

If you're just going for "a few days" you might be surprised at how little you might pay with Priceline. (BTW, while it's true you can't bid on PL for just the village, you can get the UES.) Look at biddingfortravel.com. They have a list of the Priceline hotels in the various neighborhoods & also list what people have paid. One "trick" to avoid surprises is bidding on a neighborhood/star level with only 1 hotel. In midtown east at 2.5 stars, I think the Courtyard Marriott MTE is the only hotel & is often won for $65-75/nite.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:49 AM

There are only a handful of hotels in the village, besides the apartment types that McLaurie mentions, there's the Larchmont (with shared bathrooms,, no kitchens), and Washington Sq hotel (not the best reviews, and no kitchens). There are some pricey hotels nearby (Union Sq W, the new one in the meat packing district with the nautical theme, and some in Soho) but none of these have kitchens either. There a Holiday Inn Downtown and Soho Suites in the lower east side.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:27 AM

IMHO - I don't know that a kitchen in NY for only a few days is such a big savings - there are so many places that you can eat good, cheap meals.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:19 AM

Merely a refrigerator and microwave can go a long way towards saving money - we have done so in many locations. New York is great for interesting and inexpensive take-out (no, I don't mean McDonald's). Full cooking does not always save you money for a short period of time - you need to buy things in larger quantities than you can use up - so you lose the savings.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:28 AM

Bidding on a hotel on Priceline can save you enough money to make up the difference between eating in and eating out, plus some hotels offer free continental breakfasts anyway. Also, I've found that most hotels will provide a small refrigerator on request, even if it's not typically part of the room fixtures. And you'd be surprised what you can fix up or reheat using just that mini-coffeepot.