Reload this Page >

NYC Neighborhoods, I'm relocating, Please help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:09 PM
Nicole

I am relocating to NYC. I need help concerning which areas to live in. I'm leaning towards: Soho, Greenwich Village, and Chelsea. How safe are these areas, rent? Would it be better to search for a roommate type of situation or live alone?

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:41 PM
jo

My son lives down by NYU, near Soho and the Village. Nice area -lots of cafes and things to do

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:53 PM
a

I thought about those areas too, but settled in a place near Central Park. I'm absolute sure I'd go bonkers if I weren't near the park, but that's just me.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:21 PM
Rachel

All three areas are nice. Of them, I'd say that Chelsea still has some spots that are a little rougher around the edges than the other two. Rent in all three tends to be pretty high. I lived in the Village for a year and always felt safe (I live in midtown now). The roommate call is really a personal one--some people feel better knowing there's someone at home, while others want to be totally on their own. You should also keep in mind that it is often less expensive to room with someone than to live alone--on the other hand, if you don't get along, it can end up being a real headache and you don't want to feel like you have to move again, especially if you've paid a broker's fee. To get an idea of the costs, there are many real estate websites with listings. www.corcoran.com and the real estate ads at www.villagevoice.com should give you an idea of the breadth of what's available.

Things to keep in mind when looking for an apartment here are: proximity to the subway (key!), local grocery stores, restaurants, doorman bldg. or not (non-doorman bldgs. tend to be less expensive, but it can be a real pain to receive packages or dry cleaning, etc. without one), walk-up v. elevator (definitely a plus when schlepping heavy groceries). Apartments on the street side of a building tend to be a little less expensive, but can be rather noisy, depending on the street. Try to visit the neighborhoods you're considering both during the day and the night to get a feel for how comfortable you are--and bring a friend for another opinion.

Good luck!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:54 PM
Ted

Hello Nicole,
It's tough asking New Yorkers where to live because everybody unequivocally thinks their neighborhood is the best. Trust me, it's almost impossible to get an unbiased opinion. For example, an Upper West Sider would gargle nails before suggesting the Upper East Side, and vice versa. New Yorkers are VERY loyal to their own area.

That being said, my advice is simple: Form your own bias by walking around several neighborhoods. You'll know which one is right for you.

When my wife & I were searching for a condo years ago, we looked in several areas. Later, we visited the areas in the evening when people were out walking around. The condo we liked best was in an area we ended up NOT liking when we spent time there. So we bought in a different neighborhood, which we love and will never leave.

I'm curious: Why are you leaning towards SoHo, the Village & Chelsea? They are all VERY different. Again, don't listen to other people -- make up your own mind. Good luck and enjoy the process, as frustrating as it may seem.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:03 PM
Nicole

Rachel, why did you move from the village to midtown? Was it more convenient, less expensive?

Ted, My neighbor who used to live in NYC gave me those neighborhood suggestions. Preferably I tend to like areas with the conveniences of local cafes, public transportation(if there's no parking), gym, and more of an artsy kind of feel.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 10:32 PM
Rachel

Nicole,
There were a number of reasons that I moved from the village to midtown. Although I loved the neighborhood (11th Street btw. 5th and University), being closer to the Upper West Side was better for me because most of my friends live there and for other lifestyle reasons.

Although my husband and I did not exactly choose midtown (we live in an apartment that's in the family and became available; we weren't married yet when we both lived in the village), we are both really happy with it and highly recommend it to people. We're in "midtown west". Although it can be a little depressing sometimes being around all of the tall buildings, we find that the proximity to Central Park (3 blocks away) and to nearly all of the major subway lines (within 1-3 blocks, depending) to be worth the tradeoff. Plus, we are both within walking distance to our respective jobs (really important to us in the summer when the subway is really icky and hot). We find it to be really convenient. I know that it is also an expensive area to rent in (pretty much all of Manhattan has that problem, you'll find), but rental prices have fallen a bit recently with the economic slowdown. As with anywhere else, it really depends on the kind of building you want to live in and its location. I know that in my building complex, studios are going for btw. $1800 and $2400 a month. You might be able to get a slightly better deal if you go for a non-doorman building. Especially if you're going to be living alone, I would really recommend a doorman building if you can afford it--when I was not yet married and lived downtown, I did not have a doorman and honestly felt a little less secure (in addition to the convenience factors that I mentioned before), but that's me.

Basically, we find midtown really convenient. However, the village has some really great selling points--I loved the more laid-back feeling that I found there and there are a lot of restaurants.

You'll find a number of gym options in pretty much anywhere you go, although there is a huge concentration in Chelsea. Two big "chains" are NY Health & Racquet Club (www.hrcbest.com) and NY Sports Club (www.nysc.com) and they both have a lot of locations around Manhattan. If you're planning on having a car in Manhattan, you'll have to be prepared to pay a lot to park it--most garages charge at least $300/month for a spot. Parking it on the street can be a full-time job. As long as you're over 25 and don't need a car to go out of town that often, renting is, comparatively, a good option.

If you want an "arty" neighborhood, your friend steered you right for Manhattan, although a lot of the artists who once made these neighborhoods their home have had to move due to high rents (at least according to the newspaper articles).

Good luck with your decision; you can't make a wrong one !

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:33 AM
me

My two favorite areas in NYC are Greenwich Village and the Upper East Side. If you want to save a little $, try brooklyn around the base of the Williamsburg bridge. Still brooklyn so cheaper, but close enough to Manhattan so it is safe and fun.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:34 AM
Anthony

Nicole:
I though the poster 'Ted' had given you some good advice. with regard to the neighborhoods you are considering, SoHo, although a trendy place, to shop and eat, doesn't seem like a nice place to live day to day. It's not particularly near many subway stops, not many 'regular' grocery stores, and not many trees and parks that make day today living enjoyable. The gritty, industrial feel may seem 'chic' to some, but I for one would not enjoy living there.
With regard to Chelsea, there are many new apt. rental buildings that have been built rencently. There are many nice restaurants along 8th ave. Please remember, though, that Chelsea is NYC's main Gay neighborhood (FYI: I'm gay myself) There's nothing inherently good or bad about that, but you do need to know that it becomes quite evident when you walk the street day to day (think of San Fransisco's Castro District or LA's West Hollywood) and see tons of buff, worked out men in muscle shirts and shorts. In short Chelsea is a little short on the general diversity of its inhabitants.
The West Village is very a nice neighbood, with quant little streets and row houses. It is also quite expensive in terms of rent, and the quality of the housing stock is poor. Expect to pay high rents for tiny, walk-up apts in poor condition.
Imay be biased, since I live there, but do consider the Upper West side. It is a diverse (Although the # of strollers seem to increase exponentailly each weekend) area with plenty of shops, food stores, and is close to Central Park.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:40 AM
Philip

I live in Greenwich Village and to be honest it's not as great as everyone says. The cheaper buildings are being populated by college students who have no limits on how much noise they make or at what time of the night they play their stereo. Many landlords are specifically looking for college students because they can turn the apartment over faster, getting a higher rent. (The goal of many landlords is to get it up to the $2000 mark so they can destabilize the rent-stabilized apartments).

Also, there is a lot of riff raff that hangs around on the weekends. Just a few days ago a man was shot on Houston Street by gang members. On weekends the Village becomes a crowded mess with many people driving in from the boros and NJ which produces a lot of noise and congestion.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:57 AM
HowOldAreYou?

riff raff?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:22 AM
suzanne

Though the neighborhoods you picked are all great, you'll get more space for your money if you live:

* on the Upper East Side - my old hood - has tons of stores, restaurants, bars, museums, and is near Central Park.

* Battery Park City - if you work downtown this is great - doorman buildings all have reduced rent since 9/11 and many have spectacular river views. Definitely the best rent deals in Manhattan.

* Brooklyn Heights - great commute if you work anywhere below Midtown - very neighborhood-y with few tall buildings. A 1.5-mile long waterfromt park is currently in the works here - it will have a pool, ice-skating, outdoor sports, and an amphitheater for outdoor performances.

As for the roommate situation, a 2-bedroom is roughly 2x the cost of a studio...you'd have to live with more than 2 roommates to make it cheaper.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:32 AM
x

When I used to do MBA recruiting trips on behalf of an ex-employer, I'd would always be asked this question. I'd always say:

"This is a gross generalization but, the Upper East Side tends to attract more of the Wall Street corporate types, downtown attracts the artsy types, and the Upper West Side attracts a little bit of both."

Again, that is a generalization. I think you might want to think about a neighborhood that makes your commute convienient and has the type of bar/restaurants that fit your style.

Yes, it is easy to get cabs. But, if you like going out in the Village, do you really want to schlep in a cab from the Upper East Side everytime. Same thing is true in reverse.

If money becomes an issue, there are some good deals in Hoboken right now. Several new building went up right next to the River. With the market slowdown, it might be possible to get 1 months free rent and no fee.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:21 AM
Ted

Nicole, I hope all this info helps. Check out the neighborhoods (and a few representative apartments in each) and make your own decision. Forget about what's "hip;" that's a bunch of garbage and changes faster than street lights. Manhattan is hip, wherever you choose to live.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:30 PM
carole

Hi Nicole - Don't know if something like this would work for you but you might consider subletting furnished apts. for short periods in the various parts of the city you're interested in.

When my husband and I moved to NYC from Boston, we sublet in different areas for 1-3 months in order to get a feel for the neighborhoods before we settled into one permanently. It was a great way for us to make an informed choice and might help you decide about safety, convenience, roommate or not, etc.

If you want to explore that route, I know of at least one website that offers sublets with no broker's fees: www.craigslist.com.

Good luck - I hope you come to love the city as we have!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:47 PM
Jim

Ted is correct, we're all biased toward our neighborhoods. I liked the two I lived in before moving to the 'burbs: Upper West Side and Cobble Hill, Brooklyn.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:35 PM
Nicole

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I did go to craigslist.com and have to say that's a great source for info. on the rent market. I will make a weekend trip to NYC to look at places more in depth.