NYC-need last minute weekend help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot in my original post to click on NY so trying again and I apologize. I just tried to do same just before and it disappeared somehow. If multiples show up of this request I apologize in advance. I am looking for opinions and advice. For example we were thinking of having a drink at the Met cafe before dinner--but since dinner plans are at Cibo near where we are staying does anyone have a rec for pre dinner drinks in that area?
Author: Reeder
Date: 07/11/2005, 03:31 pm
We are going to be in midtown this weekend (Sat) for a lovely wedding and decided to make a weekend of it. We just celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary. I wanted our visit to be casual and fun and reasonable. I was thinking about lunch at Minado on Friday then a stroll around 47th St for a bauble? Then a cocktail at Met cafe for the view and ambiance and dinner at Cibo--to which we can walk back to the Union League Club. Was thinking about breakfast at Sarge's Deli, then a visit to the Met and a stroll around Central Park. The wedding is 3:30 on Sat which will finish off Sat. The mother of the bride is having a brunch on Sunday and that will be our weekend. Anything to add or delete to our plans? Maybe a suggestion for breakfast on Sunday (we are early birds) and the brunch isn't until noon or later. Would like to hear reactions. h

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Anyone have any suggstions or ideas?
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:07 AM

The roof garden at the Metropolitan Museum (I think that's what you mean by "Met Cafe") is a bit out of your way from the Union League Club to Cibo, but it is quite special. It is a spectacular view of the city. Nearer to your destination, you could have drinks at MOMA off 5th Ave and 53rd, or somewhere in Grand Central -- maybe The Campbell Apartments or Harry Cipriani on the balcony to people watch?

Sarge's Deli is fine for breakfast -- as are many diners in the area.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:12 AM

For breakfast, I would recommend Le Pain Quotdien (several locations in NYC). They have excellent sugar waffles & breads- generally a lighter fare. Check out www.lepainquotidien.com for the locations.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

I did know that the Met would be out of our way so perhaps MOMA will do it for us. I was just at Curves and recommended the Met to someone having a "special birthday treat" there tomorrow and was asking for a nice place to have a drink!! She was thrilled with the rec. Thanks for your help.h
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:12 AM

I don't think that MOMA will work out for you. If you go mid-afternoon, you'll be paying a $20 admission fee, which I don't think they'd waive if you say you're only going for drinks.
And, if you go around 5 p.m. on a Friday, you'll hit a very, very long line, as admission is free after that time.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Howard--back to Plan A!! We can easily take a bus up to the Met and back in time for dinner at Cibo! Should we anticipate a long line here as well if we arrive around 5 pm?
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 10:43 AM

You should not encounter much of a wait at the Met at that hour. Of course, the roof may be busy with other cocktail hour revelers!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Maybe we will get there before five and let the crowd of revelers join us?? H Thanks for your help