Ideas for last-minute getaway weekend to NYC

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for last-minute getaway weekend to NYC

My DH & I have decided to take a "quickie" weekend trip to NYC next weekend, partly to see "the gates", but also just to get away for some good meals and to go to the theater.

We arrive at LGA 7PM Friday night, so we should be able to make a 9:00 dinner reservation, shouldn't we? Or am I being too optimistic.

We're staying at the Benjamin, on East 50th, so it would be nice to go to dinner somewhere in that neighborhood.

What about davidburke & donatella, or Bellini?

Another one that sounded good was Pampano. Anybody know any of these?

Saturday we'll go see the gates and probably to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Any casual but fun favorite lunch spots?

Saturday night we have tickets to The Producers, and we'd like to go somewhere fun for a drink and appetizers beforehand, then have something light afterward. Any ideas?

On Sunday, we're pretty open.
I had read about the Tenement Museum, and it sounds interesting and offbeat. Has anybody been there?

I appreciate any help-- usually I plan trips compulsively way in advance, and this one I don't have time to work on too much.

Thanks!
Marcy
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:58 AM

I think a 9 p.m. dinner reservation is playing it a little tight. The plane will have to be on time, etc., etc., etc. You might make the reservation for, say, 9:15 and ask the restaurant what happens if you're delayed.
If you like Chinese food, you can't do any better than Shun Lee Palace on East 55th.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:00 AM

I think a 9 pm reservation should be fine, assuming you don't plan to freshen up and you eat near your hotel.

I don't know anything about the restaurants you mentioned. But also in the neighborhood of the Benjamin is one of my faves, Fresco. It is on 52nd (I think) between Park & Madison, but closer to Madison. Delicious food, warm service. You'll need a reservation.

Another nice choice is L'Impero. It's in Tudor City -- 43rd between 1st and 2nd. The 4-course tasting menu is a bargain at $54 pp.

A lunch spot on Saturday will depend on whether you want one near the museum or not. Inexpensive lunch spots are harder to come by near the museum because you have to walk further (generally) east. One that would be nice is Serafina at 79th and Madison. It is upstairs on the SW corner. They have wood-grilled pizzas and pastas and salads. They have a nice second-floor terrace that opens up if the weather is nice.

On the west side, I like Isabella's at 77th and Columbus. There is also Sarabeth's for more brunch-type food -- not sure of the address (there is also a Sarabeth's on the East Side in the Whitney Museum at 75th and Madison).

I'll leave your questions about the theatre district for someone who is better at that than I am.

Have fun!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:10 AM

Be forewarned: If this weekend is anything like last weekend (and it probably will be because of the holiday), dining places around Central Park were very, very crowded at lunchtime because of the crowds at The Gates.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:50 AM

If the plane is on time, a 9:00 reservation will be fine. I haven't eaten at davidburke&donatella yet, but it is one of the "hot" restaurants in NY and has gotten excellent reviews. Pampano is great (southwestern/mexican) so it depends on the cuisine you'd like. I think you'd be happy in either restaurant. For lunch the next day, walk up Madison Ave., there's a lot of fun cafes you can choose from. For before theatre drinks/appetizers, right next door to the theatre is Angus Mcdonnaugh (or something like that), it should be fun, a lot of actors go there. For after, try Orso or Joe Allens on restaurant row (46th between 8th & 9th Ave). Whatever you do, you'll have a great weekend in NY.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, HowardR, lisettemac, and owlwoman, for the helpful information!

I know we're going to find ourselves in the usual situation of wishing we had more meals so we could try all of these places!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 10:16 AM
sks

About your Tenement Museum question - I have been twice, but not for about 3 years. I thought it was fabulous. The tour guide helped to give a good idea of what living conditions were like back then. I would definitly go! That being said, I have heard that there have been some changes over the last couple of years and that it might not be as good as before, but I imagine it is still worth seeing.