NYC Museum Help!!!!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Margaret

NYC Museum Help!!!!

We're finaling our trip to New York. I've found this forum very helpful. I need your help to prioritize the museums we need to visit. We will definitely go to the Met. Here are the other options: MOMA, Guggenheim, Museum of Natural History. We just recently went to the SF MOMA, so we're kind of "museumed out" but don't want to miss any "must sees" in NY. Due to everything else theres to do in NY, we're probably go to one other museum besides the Met.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Nyer

Guggenheim basically has one major exhibit at a time. Frank Gehry exhibit is mostly over(according to website, "portions of the exhibit will remain on view until Sept. 22)Nothing much really there as the permanent collection is definitely overshadowed by the Met.

MOMA's website notes: "PLEASE NOTE:
Construction of MoMA's new building is in progress. During this period, several permanent collection
galleries as well as The Abby
Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden are closed, and some
familiar works from MoMA's
collection will not be on view."
I would skip it if your time and museum patience are limited.

Museum of Natural history is a whole other animal and obviously not an art museum so you can't compare it to the others. NY also has great specialty museums (Transit, Moving Image (i.e. TV& film), Jewish & Jewish Heritage (2 separate museums, etc) so you might want to consider some of those instead or in addition. You could easily spend all your museum allotted time just in the Met so don't fret if that's how its works out

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Howard

I would recommend one of two options:
*Spend all of your planned museum time at the Met. There is so much there and some diversity.
*For a second museum, go to the Museum of Natural History at least for the planetarium show.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Howard

Oops, my above comments about the Met should read "so much diversity," not "some diversity." Sorry.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Antoinette

Natural History! Especially the Planetarium and the Egyptian exhibits. Wonderful!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 04:44 AM
bennie

Have you thought about the Frick? Its very small and easy to take. Its quite lovely.

My sister and I went on a weekend to NY. Because my employer offered free admission to just about every musuem in NY we did the Met, Frick, Guggenheim, Whitney and MOMA in less than 24 hrs. Absolute insanity - we never wanted to see art again. But the Frick actually stood out. Of all these musuem we remember the Frick the most vividly.

So if you are musuemed out maybe the Frick is just small and initimate enough for you.

Enjoy your trip.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:35 AM
sluggo

When we get "museum feet," we like to go to the Museum of Radio & Television, where you sit down. AAA membership gets you in free.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Penny

I second the Frick. It's wonderful. The location is central, so it's convenient to other stuff you might want to do. The setting is perfect for the art--you can't possibly feel at all overwhelmed by "too much" art, like you can at the Met.

The Frick has three Vermeers. If you like his paintings at all, definitely go here--there are very few of them in the United States.

See www.frick.org for a virtual tour.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 07:36 AM
plummie

The Metropolitan, of course. The Frick also. But I really recommend the Cloisters. Take the subway (I think it's the A train). The bus takes about an hour and a half from midtown. The Cloisters is part of the Metropolitan Museum. It's up at the north tip of Manhattan with marvelous views of the Hudson River, wonderful medieval architecture (John D. Rockefeller, Jr. imported whole sections of European monastaries) and some beautiful tapestries (the famous Unicorn series), as well as other works of art. The gardens are also marvelous.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Ess

I agree that The Frick is a must-see. It's small and jewel-like, and can easily be done in an afternoon. It's one of my favorites. It's in a nice area of the city, too. You can take a walk through Central Park nearby.

Don't forget the Brooklyn Musuem of Art. It's a WONDERFUL museum, and their botanical gardens are nice, too. I would rather go there than the Met. I think you can take the subway or a bus there. Check out their website for directions if you're interested.

Also, seldom mentioned, is the American Museum of Folk Art, located near MOMA. It's not huge. You can probably see whatever exhibit they have there in an hour or so.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:26 PM
mimi

I agree with Ess. Do not forget the Brooklyn Museum. It is a wonderful place to visit and Botanical Graden is next to it

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Elizabeth

Another vote for the Frick. I don't think anyone on here has mentioned that it is in what was originally a family mansion--it's really a whole different world, not big, really beautiful and soothing. Esp. if you are museum-ed out.

Next choice--Natural History--it is so different from the art museums. Not art, other stuff.

If you get to Brooklyn--the museum is nice, but the Botanical Garden is nicer, I think--I'd give it priority. It is not a long trip from Manhattan.

Frick combines very well location-wise with Madison Avenue window (or actual)shopping.

I'd give Whitney, Guggenheim, and MoMA a skip.