Reload this Page >

NYC Memorial Day w/e Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Rob

Do any of you have hotel suggestions for Memorial day weekend in NYC? I know this is a huge tourist weekend and am doubtful that there will be any weekend specials. We are just looking for a clean hotel to stay in. We will have a car with us so parking will be an issue and I am aware that rates will be $35+ per 24hrs. I have found some decent rates at Hotel 31, Metropolitan, Hotel Pennsylvania and Washington Jefferson Hotel. Has anyone stayed at these recently and would provide feedback? Thank you for your help.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Merilee

The Hotel Pennsylvania is located on 7th Avenue between 32nd and 33rd Streets which is directly across the street from Madison Square Garden...you'll be one block away from Macy's and 3 away from the Empire State Building...it's an okay area that has many clothing stores, fast food chain restaurants...it's a bustling business area as the garment industry is there (quieter Memorial Day weekend obviously)...I didn't stay there but I was there for a cheerleading competition (other teams stayed there) and it is huge...over 1000 rooms...it was okay...I thought it was rundown, but I heard the lobby and some of the rooms were renovated...The Washington Jefferson is in what they called Hell's Kitchen...there are many ethnic restaurants in the area...I heard this one was renovated also and it is smaller at a little over 100 rooms...I dont' know what your budget is but I always recommend the Gorham on West 55th Street because it's luxurious and in a great location that allows you to walk to theaters, museums, Central Park, 5th Avenue...you can probably get a suite that sleeps 5 for about $290.00 per night.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Alex

Actually, Memorial day weekend is probably not a bad time to find hotel deals. City hotels charge their highest rates during peak business times (and that sure isn't one of them) plus it's before summer crowds start filling up the city. Actually, the city will look pretty empty as NYers disappear from its midst for the first of the 'summer' weekends. If you find a good deal now that is refundable,take it and you might want to check back closer to your travel time.
The NY times (the actual newspaper, not the online version, sorry) always has ads in the travel section for NYC hotel deals that aren't usually advertised nationally. Right now they're showing rates through March, but by April, they will probably have any holiday weekend specials listed. It will depend on how much tourism has picked up by then

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Judy

Unless there's been a massive renovation, I'd stay away from the Pennsylvania Hotel. It was VERY run down & seedy a few years ago. However, I second the above recommendation for the Gorham. Have stayed there & referred friends. It is a boutique hotel with a tiny lobby, but very elegant & in a nice area. Rooms and/or suites come with mini kitchen set ups & nice marble baths. They used to be more reasonable, but have gotten somewhat pricey.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Celeste

I vote against the Pennsylvania and the Washington Jefferson. Have you considered using Priceline? Several of us have gotten rates of $90 and less for the Millennium Hilton (normally $200 plus) through them.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 01:57 PM
carole

Celeste:

What can you tell me about the Washington Jefferson (now called the WJ)? I live in the neighborhood and know it's had a recent renovation but would like to know more about it to decide if I should put family up there when they visit. It looks OK from the website but I know those can be deceiving....

Thanks -

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Tom

You can get a terrific price at the Drake Swissotel, Park Ave. & 56st. Last weekend had a nightly rate of $159.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Celeste

Carole: They were renovating the WJ when I was on business in NYC for a month in 2000. On a whim I went in and asked if I could take a look at the open rooms and they said fine. Hopefully they looked a lot better after the renovation; I wouldn't have stayed there then. I wouldn't recommend the neighborhood for a first time visitor to NYC, but in your case I would simply ask to see a few rooms.