NYC Manhattan April and May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother is wheelchair bound (can't walk, only transfer from WC to a seat) and we need to go to Sloan Kettering for a cancer treatment April 25 through May 5, 2003. Unfortunately, the cancer run is driving up prices for hotel rooms and could keep us from going

If anyone knows of hotels in the area of Sloan Kettering outpatient cancer center, please let me know. We have to make plans quickly because we'd have to be there on April 25th. We need one room for two women and the hotel cannot offer only one double bed for the room, this would not be comfortable for us. Sloan Ketterin in NYC is the only place in the country offering the needed treatment, so we are getting desperate. Thanks for any help you can give us.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Sorry to hear your family has to contend with this and hoping for a successful treamtent of your mother.

Can the hospital help with accommodation?

You could try Craigslist, look at the sublet/short stays section, you might find a convenient apartment, if that would work - there are people who rent their apartments by day/week.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 11:53 AM

The hospital has an arrangement with the Helmsley Medical Tower for family of patients & out patients. Also I think they may have a deal with the Melrose Hotel. Have you contacted the hospital for help? (Find it hard to believe any hotel will only offer 1 bed.)

By doing a web search for
hotel AND sloan kettering
I also came up with a listing for the Bridgestreet at 316 east 63 at this URL

http://www.new.york.the-hotels.com/b...-east-63rd.htm

The Bentley hotel is also mentioned in this search. Not sure where it is exactly.

BTW, think the outpatient center is at the same location as the hospital-York Ave around 65-67 st.

Lots of good luck.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Sloan-Kettering has a lot of info on accomodations on their web site, including special rates at several nearby hotels. Have you tried all of those?

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/5364.cfm

If so, and the rates are too high because of the run I would think your next best bet might be to try some of the less expensive hotels on the upper west side - the next shortest cab ride to the hotel (NYC buses do have wheelchair access - but I'm not sure of any hotels that would be close enough to the 72nd st crosstown - most are further uptown and waiting for 2 buses (for instance 79 crosstown and york ave downtown) seems like it would be too onerous. People here seem to recommend the Lucerne a lot, but you might search for upper west side hotels above.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. This just came up in the past two days and our local doctor has not given us particulars, just the basics so we can make a decision as to whether we want to make the trip from South Florida. I'll check the websites offered. I didn't even know what area of Manhattan we were going to until yesterday. As you can all understand, we have a lot on our plate and I knew all my Fodorite friends would come to my assistance. If Mom wasn't in a wheelchair, this would be a piece of cake to deal with because transportation would not be an issue.

Thanks again to everyone. If anyone has any additional comments, I'm open to all the info I can get.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 04:35 PM

You might want to try a search for long term hotels or extended stay hotels in New York. After you get the names of some hotels, go to Tripadvisor.com to check out reviews. This site has always proved very helful to me. I hope all goes well for your Mom. I wish your trip here was under much better circumstances.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 05:13 PM

There is a very informative report by Lynn McKamey whose husband was treated at Sloan Kettering for his cancer at www.scubamom.com/nyc/ - Lynn reports on where they stayed, the area in general, where to eat, reports the cost of things and has links to hotels in this area. Also has a detailed map.

I hope this will help you in planning your upcoming journey. My heart and prayers go out to you both.

Sandy

Old Apr 17th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Johnnyg and Sandybrit. I already found Lynn McKamey's site and found it very informative.

I wonder if it would be worth it to stay in NJ or an area outside of Manhattan and then take a cab to wherever we would need to go to meet with the doc and have tests and treatment. We can get much better rates at hotels on the outskirts but I have no idea which areas are safe. Is it easier to go from LGA to Manhattan or Newark or JFK to Manhattan if we decide to stay near an airport? We will be two women on our own. I'm from Ft. Lauderdale and not used to public transportation.

As soon as we find out more info on Monday as far as where we would need to be for tests, treatment, etc., we will have a better idea of what we're doing. If the procedure isn't covered by Medicare and is very costly, we might not even be taking this route for treatment. We have a lot of issues to weigh before making a final decision. However, if we decide to go, I want to have all my ducks in a row and be able to get reservations because we'll have to act quickly.

For those of you in NYC, can you tell me if there is anything going on May 2-May 12 that would drive up rates in Manhattan? I might be able to get a decent rate through expedia or priceline if it will be relatively quiet. Thanks for all your concern and support, my family and I truly appreciate it.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 02:39 AM

The only downside I can see with you trying to use Priceline for your stay is that you want two beds. BiddingForTravel makes a note that in NYC this is not available in some hotels.

A local will be able to say much more accurately but I think La Guardia is much more convenient for getting a cab to Manhattan if you have the option of flying there.

I'm sure you've already factored this is but a cheaper hotel in an outlying area plus a cab fare to the treatment center may well end up costing similar to a Manhattan hotel (plus there's added hassle and time to think about).
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 03:00 AM

I do not recommend staying near any of the ariports. While all of the areas are safe the transit time and costs woould probably be prohibitive - since public transport in from the airports would not be at all convenient for someone in a wheelchair. For example - taxis to and from JFk would be at least $100 (after the upcoming fare increase) - I would think more than making up for any savings in hotel costs. Costs in and out of the LGA area would be somewhat less - perhaps $70 or so - but still perhaps not worth the savings.

While not the busiest season of the year, tourisn has already started to pick up and hotel prices may not be at their lowest.

You may want to consider the apartment rental route - but be very careful to get all the info on the place. Many, many inexpesnive apartments in Manhattan are walk-ups only - often as much as five flights.

If it turns out you will be doing this you may want to consider calling the hospital directly to get more info on accomidations from them.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 03:04 AM

Getting into Manhattan from LaGuardia takes half as much time as from JFK or Newark.

May 2: NYC 5-Borough Bike Tour
(not a good day to arrive- the FDR and Queensboro bridges will be closed, among other streets)

May 1-9: Tribeca Film Festival.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

It's not necessary to have two beds. I just need either one king, one queen or two of smaller sizes (double or twin.) Thanks for the info on the "walk-ups" that's why I'm not too interested in an apartment. I'll look into alternate dates for the procedure. Maybe they can get it done in a week and we can arrive on a Sunday and leave the following Friday night or Saturday morning.

If we explain to the Sloan-Kettering doctors what the problem is, they might be able to speed up the tests that are required before the procedure.

Thanks all, you have been a tremendous help. One more question, though....

Are subways a possibility with a wheelchair? If not, we'll just have to use cabs whenever possible.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 10:26 AM

Some subway stations are handicap accessible, but most are not. Below is a link to the subway map -- if you click on a station, the information for that line pops up and there is a wheelchair symbol for the stations that are accessible.

http://mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

However, Sloan is not really near a subway station. Buses would be a better option - all city buses (I am 99% sure) are handicap accessible - the driver helps with an electric ramp. If you are in the York and 66th area, the 66th street crosstown bus (M66) would take you there as well as the M31, which goes down York to 57th street and then across town on 57th.
This is a link to the bus map :

http://mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

The other posters are correct in that LGA area is the best option time/cost wise if you're staying out of manhattan.

Best of luck.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 10:32 AM

Heartburn3, unfortunately I have had several close friends & family members treated at SL within the last several years, one as recently as this year. Do not underestimate the hospital's ability to provide reasonably priced housing for you. Additionally, they have an entire dept to help you with financial issues for treatment.

As to the issue of staying on the "outskirts," I think it would probably be penny wise & pound foolish, especially with a wheel chair. It also depends on how frequently the treatments are administered. If treatments are daily I think it would be foolish to have to commute daily. If treatments are, say, every other day maybe. But remember, not everywhere on the "outskirts" has public transport so then you might have to rent a car.

I think you should take a deep breath, relax as best you can today & wait to make decisions til tomorrow when you know more. It's also possible this trip may just be for tests & you may have to make an appt. to return for the treatment. In the meantime, if you can contact the Helmsley Med. Building today to check rates, that might set your mind at ease. Best of luck & good wishes to your Mother.

PS Forget about subways with a wheel chair. La Guardia is easiest/closest airport. Don't stay near any of the airports.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 11:03 AM

If you decide to book with Priceline, after you get confirmation of a hotel, call the hotel directly and explain the situation. I've used Priceline and have gotten the bed type I needed by calling the hotel and requesting it. I also always get the name of the person to whom I am speaking. Also, before booking with Priceline, go to www.bidding for travel. The site offers information on hotels that do business with Priceline, as well as reviews.
LaGuardia is definitely much closer to the city. Do not even consider Newark.
I would not stay too far away from the treatment center. The cost of a taxi during peak times can be expensive. The treatment center is in a very safe area with accessibilty to bus transportation. I think every public bus is now handicap accessible. The closest subway would be 68th and Lexington or 59 and Lexington. It would be virtually impossible to travel by subway with your mom in a wheelchair. Take care.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

I spoke directly with the Sloan-Kettering doctor who will be treating Mom and he also pointed me to the Helmsley Medical Towers because they have kitchens. Also, he said we can wait until May 23rd to be there, as the need is not as urgent as first thought. At least now I can breathe easier and take my time with reservations.

Here's the kicker... she will have to be at the main campus of MSK for 3 different visits: A scan, a doctor visit and finally the injection (1 -- thank goodness.) Her treatment would be on 5/27 but she will not be able to fly back for about 7 days because of the materials they are injecting her with -- she'll set off all the machines at the airport! So we don't have to stay by the hospital from 5/28 to 6/3. Do you think it would be worth it to try to get a good deal on priceline closer to the action? I'd want a 4* or higher if we switch hotels. If we stay at the Helmsley Med Tower, the rate for 7 days or more would be $155/nt. This sounds like a good price for a place with a kitchen. What do you all think?

Vacationdreamer: you gave the following info:

"This is a link to the bus map :
http://mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm"
Did you mean to write busmap.htm???

You are all the best! You've helped me tremendously with everything. We will stay in Manhattan where we can see the sites in our down time.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:30 AM

Sorry! The link for the Manhattan bus map:

http://mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

As you might have guessed, mta.info is the homepage for the NY area transit agency.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:39 AM

I would definitely go for the place with the kitchen. When your mom is undergoing treatment, she may not be up for eating out regularly or may want certain foods which can be more easily accomodated with a kitchen. Plus that is an excellant rate and you know the facility is familiar with people with special physical requirements.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:45 AM

When my sister had her procedures at MSKCC, she and my mom stayed at the Helmsley Medical Tower while she recovered. They liked it a lot, and they still managed shopping and shows (as much as post-surgery allowed). Now my sis does outpatient chemo and takes the train in from Trenton, but she will be having yet ANOTHER procedure that will require a hospital stay-- so she'll be back at Helmsley. But it's a nice place, so....

Chin up. The folks at MSKCC are really nice and work really hard on their patients' behalf, so your mom's in good hands. Keep up your spirits!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 09:10 AM

Heartburn3,

Call the American Cancer Society, NY chapter. They might be able to arrange accommodations at a hotel that participates in their rooming programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -