NYC - Lunch recommendations October weekend

Sep 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

NYC - Lunch recommendations October weekend

This forum has always given me great recommendations no matter where my travel destination is.

My sister and I are going to be in NY the weekend of 10/16 and looking forward to a fun weekend. Either Friday or Saturday morning, we are heading down to Century 21, where we will start our shopping day. From there, we will stay downtown and head to the Village or Soho for lunch and browsing. Looking for a restaurant where we can relax after heavy duty shopping where locals go and business people as well with a varied menu. Last time I was in the city, my friend and I went to Balthazar and it was ok, and very loud. Perhaps a bistro this time, or somebody mentioned "Jane" back then, not sure if it would still be a recommendation now. Also, which is best for browsing, the Village or Soho. Not interested in designer shopping. We like different types of stores, home goods, gift stores, boutiques, etc. Also, any recommendations for lunching in midtown or higher for when we are in that area the other day. (mid price range) Sunday brunch recommendations are also welcome. We are staying in midtown. Last time - I went to Sarabeths's for sunday brunch by the Park.

Thanks in advance for any welcome suggestions.

Sep 13th, 2008, 06:39 PM

One of our favourite restaurants in Tribeca is Turks & Frogs (a stylish Turkish restaurant run by a Turk who married a French woman). There is also a branch in the West Village, but we've only been to the Tribeca location at 458 Greenwich St. Google the name for the menu and photos. Its mezze platters are a great choice to share for a light meal.

I find Soho on a weekend day to be overwhelmingly crowded. Also, it's jam-packed with chain stores, at least on the main streets. There are some more interesting shops in the neighbourhood but it's sometimes hard to see them through the crowds. The true West Village and East Village could be more interesting, if you want to shop for something a little different.

OpenTable is a great way to search for and make restaurant reservations. There are some reviews on its website, but you can also look for restaurant reviews on citysearch.com.
Sep 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Soho is easier for "browsing" imo, but I agree, weekends there are overly crowded. A lot of home stores are around ABC Carpet on Broadway & 19th st. You might have a look through the NY mag visitor's guide on shopping. http://nymag.com/travel/visitorsguide/40580/

For lunch in midtown, go to Asiate in the Mandarin Oriental hotel on the 35th floor of the Time Warner building. They have an inexpensive prix fixe for $24 and the view is really lovely.

For Sunday brunch, go to the Boat House in Central Park.
Sep 14th, 2008, 02:48 PM

if you end up in soho for lunch the antique garage is cool for a casual lunch of salads / small plates, etc... live jazz on weekends too.

the best brunch in the city, if you can figure a way in, is at the metropolitan club, if not, there is always pastis (owned by balthazar owners) or rose water (brooklyn)or there is mesa grill for a southwest style brunch from bobby flay

Sep 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM

East 9th street in teh village has lots of cute little boutiques if you want something different. I would also suggest The Smith for lunch it's on 3rd avenue between 10th and 11th. The tomato soup is fantastic. It is owned by the same owners of Jane i think.

I would also second the suggestion of looking at all the shopping on the nymag cite. you can search for the different types of stores you would like to hit.
Feb 15th, 2010, 02:34 PM

Aside from the crowdeness, which is not a big deal to me, I don't like that most people I meet ate overly snobbish. I don't know but that's been my experience.

But whatever, i just go there for the shopping

http://sabonnyc.com/index.cfm/a/article.show/artid/138
Feb 15th, 2010, 03:56 PM

The East Village and Lower East Side are brunch nuts.

Some of the better places

Clinton Street Bakery-long lines, great scones and biscuits and pancakes
Prune-small and long lines AMerican hip
Vesalka-long lines EAstern European
Try the French bistros-Flea Market and Casimir and Lucien.
Feb 15th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Check out Bread Tribeca for lunch. ABC Carpet has a tapas restaurant called Pipa attached to it that's decent.