NYC live music - venue suggestions

Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC live music - venue suggestions

My husband and I are hoping to see some live music (rock, although we don't mind some pop) while we are in New York from September 5 to 12. I'm turning 40 this trip (!) and my husband is 43. I have been on the Bowery Ballroom website and unhappily noted Kings of Leon are playing on September 12, when we'll be flying back to the UK. That would have been perfect. Was wondering if there are any other venue websites I could try, or if Fodorites have any suggestions? Thanks very much. Lisa
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:54 AM

Please check www.bbkingblues.com. You are in for a treat. On September 11 Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes plays at 8 PM.
I know that SJ is pretty popular in the UK so you might know them. Otherwise if you like Bruce Springsteen or at least that kind of music this is where to go. Very nice playing Blues/Rock with a lot of horns. These are some of the best musicians in the Jersey area.
I have not been to that many clubs in the US but I heard SJ here a couple of years ago. You will be placed by tables with other guest and you can have dinner and drinks at the table. Very Nice. Morten/Denmark
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:30 AM

NYC has a ton of music venues from the Beacon theater to MSG to Giant's Stadium. Look at TimeOutNew York web site to see who is playing where when - and check out the web sites of the major venues to get concert info.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Hello.
Thanks for the advice Morten. We are looking into that.
Otherwise, all we have found for our time in New York is a Proclaimers gig at Gramercy Theatre, which we also might consider for a bit of Scotland in New York. Is that a standing room only kind of venue, does anyone know?
Nytraveler, thanks for the Timeout New York advice. We've had a look but unfortunately the information seems to only run up to next weekend. One to keep an eye on, though.
Thanks guys. We'll keep looking. I see we also just miss out on seeing Hothouse Flowers and The Killers - also favourites.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 07:31 AM

The Iridium, in the theater district, is an intimate, atmospheric room that delighted us on a recent visit to NYC.

HTTY
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Did you check Irving Plaza? There might be something interesting there.