Search

NYC/LI guidebook recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC/LI guidebook recommendations?

Hi Fodorites,
A friend just moved to LI and I wanted to send her a book or 2 about things to do in NY as a hosuewarming present. I'd love recomendations for books on LI and NYC that are going to be useful to someone who's been to NYC before and done most of the major tourist things (Empire St. building, Statue of Liberty, etc.), but doesn't know much beyond what you see tourists doing in every movie that takes place in Manhattan. TIA!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:31 AM

I bought the Weekend Getaways from New York City while I lived there and really liked it. It focuses on the surrounding areas though, not the five boroughs, so I'm not sure it's what you're looking for...

It does have great info on the Hudson Valley, Eastern LI, Northern PA etc.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:38 AM

A copy of the 2005 Zagat's is a must. Depending on her interests, you can buy the Marketplace, Nightlife, etc. editions as well as the restaurant guide.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 11:26 AM
adoptionisfab

I agree on Zagat's there is also a Long Island edition. Antiquing New York by John L Michel. Long Island Wine Country.

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Your friend might enjoy Time Out's New York Walks books. (At Amazon or at www.timeout.com "store".) Each chapter is a walking tour written my a different interesting person with a different theme, but also practical information about sites on the walk and restaurants and shopping nearby. NYC can be so overwhelming that these walks let you take it in small bites.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 03:29 AM

Long Island is a big place. I frankly can't think of one book that would be useful to anyone who's moved to Long Island without knowing where on the island and his/her interests. Depending on how far from NYC, NY things may be irrelevant to her right now. Even the Zagat guide for Long Island I find not very useful. If they've moved from another area of the country and will have a garden, perhaps a book on gardening in the LI weather zone would be a nice idea. If you know they plan on spending a lot of time in NYC, a subscription to New York Magazine might be nice.