Reload this Page >

NYC: How far is it around the resevoir?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:56 AM
kit

I'm a beginner runner and staying just off the park next week. Hoping to keep track off the distances, so thought the resevoir would be a great place to do that. Your help is appreciated!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:16 AM
Ted

Great question. I run the reservoir several times a week and have sought an answer to that question. Nothing on the signs, and no info available at the runners' kiosk. My guess is something close to 1.5 miles, probably slightly less. My wife just informed me that the answer IS available at the runners' kiosk at the east side entrance just north of the Guggenheim. Maybe someone else knows?

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:23 AM
John

Hi KIt:

One of my favorite topics/Places!
This is unofficial but pretty close
Resevoir is about 2.6 Miles
Around Park is 6.2 miles
Lower loop is about 1.5 MIles
59th street up to resevoir is about 1.5 miles
There is even a 5 mile loop if you need it

A great place to run! Crowded on weekends with everybody running, biking walking, rollerblading, cross country skiing(on wheels) and CURLING! (had to do it, I have been watching way too much on the Olympics!!
JOHN

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:27 AM
Ted

Well, that wasn't difficult. I went to the New York Road Runners website and found the following:

Reservoir Loop
1.57 miles
The reservoir loop is relatively self-explanatory. If you start at 90th Street, you should find some distance markers along the way. They are expressed in yards--a throwback to the classic days of the Reservoir when it was the running spot in New York (before the roads were closed to traffic). These markers are faithfully maintained by NYRRC members. Two loops make a nice 5K tempo run.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:50 AM
thereuare

You can find lots of NYC running info at the NYRRC website, www.nyrrc.ORG (notice it's NOT .com)

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:31 AM
xxx

It is 2700 yards around the reservior, according to the markers = 1.533 miles . The yard markers are painted on the concrete wall that anchors the fence around the reservior.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 09:46 AM
kit

Ted, John, thereuare and x --

Thanks for the quick responses. I used to live in the area and never really knew (or cared) until now how far I was running. I was a "10 minutes for every brownie et" girl. I'm suprised to hear about the "obvious" markers. Never, ever noticed them...

Now that I'm a serious-runner-wannabe with a coach and training program and EVERYTHING, I have to know!

Thanks again. For anyone wanting to check this out on their own, indeed, the NY Roadrunner's site is great and the link below will take you to all the Central Park routes. Thanks for the tip!

http://www.nyrrc.org/divisions/training/cpdistances.htm