Search

NYC Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:42 AM
NYC-bound

NYC Hotels

Just starting my research, and am over-whelmed. Please recommend your favorite clean, safe hotel near theatres, NBC studios, and Rockefeller Center. Thanks so much.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:44 AM
anon

Grand Hyatt or Marriott East Side.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:46 AM
me

Sheraton Russell. Walking distance (15 min) from the things you mentioned.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Henly Gold

W Hotels. I love the new W Times Square.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Thanks!

WOW!
Thank you SO much for your speedy replies. I'll look into them all.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Ryan Livengood

The library hotel is one block from grand central and is a favorite of mine to stay at. Its also by what you listed, theaters etc. Its on 41st just east of Madison.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Ted

Plaza, Waldorf, Mark, Carlyle -- all expensive but worth it

Budget -- Metropolitan on Lexington Ave.

FYI -- The W Times Square has gotten zillions of VERY negative reviews on this forum. I suggest a text search. Without a doubt the better W choice would be the one on Lexington Ave around 49th Street.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Frank

Check out the New York Helmsley and the Parklane Hotel. Both are good hotels in excellant midtown locations. You can generally get good deals on both, check out quikbook.com. Lots of Luck.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:56 PM
nonony

Forget the Grand Hyatt. What a dump! Do a search on this forum for NY hotel information and you'll get an earful. Stay in Times Square. Try the Renaissance or The Time. A bit more information about your taste and budget would be very helpful.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Terry

DON'T stay in Times Square. It's the worst area of Manhattan; resident New Yorkers avoid it like the plague, and for good reason. The MTV/Disney feel to the area is only slightly less annoying than the crowds of spandex-clad tourists walking like zombies from one cheap souvenir store to another. Visit Times Square if you must (for Broadway shows obviously), but certainly do not stay there.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Suzy

"Please recommend your favorite clean, safe hotel near theatres, NBC studios, and Rockefeller Center."

For that location, I can heartily recommend the Comfort Inn Midtown, at 129 W46 (between 6 and 7), just a half-block from Times Square. This block has lots of restaurants but doesn't have the craziness that most of Times Square has, yet it's literally a block or two from the TKTS booht, the Times Square Visitors Center, and the heart of the theater district, less than 3 blocks from NBC and Rockefeller Center.

The hotel is entirely nonsmoking, was completely refurbished about 2 years ago, was sparkling clean, the staff were competent and pleasant, and the continental breakfast was above-average. I paid $89 weekdays and $98 weekend nights last week.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Barbara

We were in NYC last fall. Stayed at the Gorham Hotel just south of Central Park. Easy walking distance to Times Square - Under $200 for a suite - also small refrig. Clean/neat and safe - We took subway everywhere else we couldn't walk like Statute of Liberty ... Even the "parking" for the car - which sat for five days was a little less at the Gorham than at other places. We had a wonderful time - hope you do too!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Judy

I agree that the Gorham is a good choice. It is a boutique hotel with nicely decorated rooms and marble baths. We've stayed there twice several years ago, and at that time they had a lovely buffet breakfast. Not sure if they still have that.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:46 PM
arjay

Check out hospitalitycompany.com

There used to be a lot of threads here re this well-regarded company, but i just did a search and could only find one recent comment. But they offer studio-1 and 2 br apts, very well kept in excellent locations. We were very happy a few years ago with one of the buildings they have at 49th bet 3/Lex.
Good luck!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:54 PM
gc

Disagree that the Grand is a dump. I basically lived there in 1989-1990...loved it. Great service.

W is trendy, but extremely tight.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Zagat

12 years can be half a lifetime for a hotel, GC.
Even new hotels can deteriorate badly in 12 years.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:12 AM
gc

Jeez,

I am getting old. I meant 1999-2000