Search

NYC Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Nadine

NYC Hotels

I live in Long island but my boyfriend and I would like to celebrate our Septemeber birthdays by staying in one of the nicer NYC Hotels. Has anyone stayed at the Trump Plaza, W Hotel, Time Hotel. If so, how were they? Any other hotel suggestions would be appreciated. I want this to be an unforgettable night. Thanks for your help!

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Frank

Trump Plaza is in Atlantic City, are you referring to the Plaza Hotel on Fifth Avenue and Central Park South?

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 09:38 AM
Nadine

Yes, the Palza Hotel.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Nadine

OK, it's monday and I can't type.
I meant the Plaza Hotel on 5th and 58th/59th (owned by Trump).

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Frank

The Plaza hotel is no longer owned by Trump, he sold it several years ago. It is currently a Fairmont Hotel. Nadine, how much do you want to spend?

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 10:39 AM
Elisabeth

Check out the Michelangelo--http://www.michelangelohotel.com/

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 11:02 AM
phil

Nadine,
You might want to check into the Peninsula, as well. Great location on 5th Ave. in Midtown, wonderful service, and a great place for a drink at the outdoor, rooftop bar. (I stayed there on my wedding night last April and loved it.)

In terms of hotel choice, what do you prefer. A more modern, hip place like the W or Tribeca Grand or a classic, older hotel like the Plaza?

I've only stayed at the W in Seattle, but they all are known for very cool rooms with a very modern decor. I've heard from friends that the 23rd St. location is better than the one on Lex. and 49th.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 11:03 AM
phil

Sorry, make that the W in Union Square, not 23rd St.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Nadine

Thanks for your suggestions.
The Peninsula Hotel sounds nice.
However, I would like a little more info. on the Plaza Hotel? Like is it worth the expense? Are there different types of rooms? Thanks!

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Frank

Be careful with the Plaza, many of the less expensive room face an interior courtyard or 58th Street. With old hotels like the Plaza, the room quality can vary greatly from room to room. I would recommend you visit the Plaza and have a drink at one of the historic bars, the lobby is beautiful, but stay elsewhere. Check out the Quikbook.com website for great deals all over Manhattan.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Lindsey

W Union Square is very good. Rooms are nice size. Staff is helpful. Trendy bar has high buzz.