NYC+hotel w/Cityview

Search

NYC+hotel w/Cityview

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC+hotel w/Cityview

I'm looking for a hotel with cityview rooms in NY -- price range: $3-400.

I had originally planned on the UN Millenium which has a great MoMA package, but am concerned about the bathrooms (not updated) and state of the rooms in the East tower, which has the beautiful city views. But I am not sure about the room quality.

Are there other choices out there? Thanks!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 11:12 AM
GoTravel

What time of year?

Labor Day through New Years the only view you'll get in that price range is one of a brick wall.

July and August may be a little easier.

The top floors of the Hilton New York have pretty good city views.

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Very few hotels in the moderate price range have city views. It;s usually only the luxury places that offer views as part of the package - and for that you would need to double your budget. (Most hotels are among many other highrises - so views may be great, partial or mostly not much at all.)

You MAY find a hotel with some view rooms - but no guarantee you'll get them. For your budget you need to stick with clean, pleasant and a good location.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM

What do you think about staying 5 min. to NYC with a great city view by staying in Hoboken, NJ.

Try the W Hoboken.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 04:32 PM
GoTravel

Geezus, I'd shoot myself first.

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:22 PM

5 minutes from where in Hoboken to where in Manhattan and how is that possible? And I'll join GoTravel in her assessment.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:33 PM

We stayed at the Belvedere in Hell's Kitchen. We didn't have much of a view, someone's laundry was in plain view from our window, including the whitie tighties!!! The location and price were great, in spite of the view. There are so many restaurants in that area and close to the theater.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input -- I know how incredibly difficult and expensive NY accomodation is much of the year.

There are some other options for my price range in March (spring break). I am hoping the weather clears a bit.

I was actually willing to go up to $500 (and even more for something really terrific) but I don't want the ornate style that one sees often in NYC and other international luxury hotel room decor.

The UN Millenium has excellent city views, of Manhattan and of the East River, for $249 and up/night, not including tax.

The Hotel on Rivington has nice city views also, for the $300-500 and up, not including tax, price range.

I chose the Ritz-Carlton at Battery Park -- and got a good weekend special within my price range -- because of the great views of not only the city but also the harbor. Online reviews suggest it may not have the great service I have experienced at the R-C in Atlanta and Amelia Island, but it looks okay. Since it's NY, the food has to be as good as the R-C food is elsewhere -- which is just fabulous.

We'll have already done all our midtown activities and wanted a room with a view for our last evening and it's close to the Museum of the American Indian where we plan to go that day.

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 04:44 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Roger Williams "penthouse" room and had a MARVELOUS view of the Empire State Building from our private deck. The room is SMALL, but very retro. The bathroom was VERY nice. It was within walking distance to most of the sights.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 04:50 AM
lawchick

2 Best views of New York for me are

The Gran Hyatt New Jersey (OK - NJ being the drawback - nice htel though and great view!)

Beekman hotel near the UN (Drawback - the rooms are a bit tatty - but the view is amazing - and its cheap)

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 05:07 AM

You might take a look at the Hotel Metro. You will NOT get a view from your room, but the hotel has a marvelous roof deck with awesome views. It's right behind Macys. I would not count on getting a good view from the Hotel on Rivington (plus, you're so far downtown, you might not be able to see much). Also, you should be aware that hotels with excellent views often charge significantly more for those rooms. Regrettably, you won't get extravagant luxury in New York in the $300 to $400 price range. I'd urge you to book a reasonably priced room and get your views as you walk around the city. If you can get the Millennium UN Plaza for $249 a night, I'd jump on that, but you might be in a lower-floor room with no view at that price.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!

I'll check out the Roger Williams and the Metro.

The best views are indeed in the $1000+range. If NYC were my only travel destination this year, I'd splurge because they do look breathtaking. But taking nieces and mother to Asia and Europe as well.

Can't wait to start obsessing over that planning (S)!

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:58 AM

I love the RC Battery Park--I'm from Long Island, and we often take a little city vacation & stay at this hotel. We love it, and we love the harbor view...I'd rather see the harbor, the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the Verrazano Bridge AND an amazing sunset from your room (esp. on a high floor). The club level is a great deal--we love it!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

McLaurie, who knows so many of the nuances of NYC travel choice, told me that RC BPark might be chilly in winter. I am wondering about March.

I got what seems to be a terrific club level rate.

I couldn't get a reservation at the Metro Hotel site, but there's one available at Quikbook. Is this truly a safe method of room reservation? I really love the Metro's style. It's not contemporary which is my favorite, but it's tasteful and modest. Some of the NY hotels are stuck in the "Gilded Era." Not that there's anything wrong with that taste.

I really want this to be a "special" holiday for my niece -- for her high school graduation and likely the only time ever in our lives that we will travel alone together. Others couldn't make this weekend which was her only free long weekend until summer.

I am showing her my favorite sights and sites, including Battery Park, Museum of American Indian,
new Uniqlo store in SoHo, Upper West Side, Lincoln Center, the Metropolitan Museum, MoMa, Guggenheim, and favorite restaurants -- NYC is THE spot of delicious vegetarian food.

The last time I was in NY, though, I felt really sad in lower Manhattan. People were still traumatized. I am wondering if there's a sense that people are starting to recover and heal. That is a concern that I feel awkward in communicating but which is bothering me. This is too serious a subject and emotional state for a high school graduation congratulatory trip, and ought not be mixed into it. If the general mood is one of healing, that is different. It's important to respect this. I have a feeling that since Little Salty, who is from Long Island, is able to visit, then there has to be an atmosphere of healing.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:52 AM
nlg

Last year we stayed at the Library Hotel. We had a nice view and could walk almost everywhere we wanted to go.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM
GoTravel

Not only is Downtown/Financial District recovering and healing, it is thriving!

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:40 AM
GoTravel

Forgot to add that I can't believe The Hotel On Rivington doesn't have fantastic views. Did you check it out Jenni? The walls are made of glass and all rooms are supposed to have fabulous views.

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

A friend (LES resident) is going to take a close look at THOR. He said I would not stick out like a sore thumb and would blend in, and that my niece definitely would blend in, but I might not like or fit the style of most other visitors who are very fashionista. He said the street it's on is terrific and "happening," but he has not been inside.

Library Hotel requires a 2-night stay. We already have a hotel in midtown for 2 nights. I practically live at my city library so this would have been a funny choice for me.

I am thinking, if it's not too cold or out-of-the-way, that R-C Battery Park might be perfect for a contemplative setting where my niece and I can have heart-to-heart talks, go to the spa area, eat really good food. We're both always exercising and on low-glycemic diets. It would be nice to ditch that routine for a while, and just relax.

I spent one windy, snowy afternoon waiting for friends who had gone to the Statue of Liberty. I went instead to the Museum of American Indian. And a wonderful man who dresses up like Lincoln and does some kind of tourist thing with that in the park area rode up on his bicycle. I think he was concerned about me waiting alone because it was getting dark. My friends were totally clueless and much later in showing up that they told me they'd be. But it was wonderful, talking with him, in his Lincoln clothes, about literature, theater (he was an actor), NYC in general -- it was really cold, freezing, snowing. But I had the best time in that unexpected moment. And, despite the misleading reputation of "New Yorkers," this has always been my experience in the city -- of graciousness, manners, honesty, realness -- in so many different forms, different levels. The common thread-- refreshing authenticity. So the thought of being in a very cold Battery Park brings back a wonderful memory of beautiful snow (the first of the winter, people were playing in the snow in the streets!), and talking to a wonderful human being dressed up like Lincoln.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for advice and insights!!

Apologies for taking a trip down memory lane here -- my mind is in pretzels over this.

So, I am going to let my niece decide since we have very different tastes -- I prefer authentic historical (albeit not baroque) venues and she prefers contemporary, even trendy.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 04:20 AM

Happy planning! Hope you have a wonderful time in Manhattan... it's the best city in the world

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -