NYC..hotel questions

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:44 PM
Frank

NYC..hotel questions

I plan on going back to NYC in August. Last year, I stayed at the Renaissance in Times Square area, and was very satisfied, especially due to the great deal on the room. However, if I recall, it was pretty far from Madison Square Garden. At least a mile, if my feet blisters weren't mistaken. I saw a taping of the Ricki Lake show and had to walk all the way back and I'm sure The Garden was somewhere in the middle. A great thing about the Renaissance is that is is really close to Times Square and other attractions. So, any ideas for a good hotel that is still close to Times Square but slightly closer to Madison Square Garden. Obviously, I'll be going to other places a lot more than MSG, so a central location is good. Doesn't have to be right next to MSG. I'm going to try to get tickets for the Radiohead show in The Garden on the 7th, so you can see that I don't want to be wandering around a relatively unfamiliar area at midnight, even if it isn't the bad part of town. Is it easy to get a cab from the Garden? If so, then the distance problem is solved, and all I need is helpful tips on nice hotels near Times Square. That deal with the Renaissance...I don't think I can get that again. Thanks!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 02:27 AM
Rqf

Renaissance may be offering a $129 weekend rate in August. Since you don't want to walk take a taxi going and returning. Cab fare would be less than $5, probably closer to $4, each way. Plenty of cabs are available. YOu could also take the subway. Walk to 50th and Broadway and take the #1 or #9 local to 34th Street. Leaves you right in front of Madison Square Garden. Cost is $1.50

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Frank

A $129 weekend rate would be nice, but I would be there during the week (that's when the concert is, the 7th). I plan on getting a cab on the way back if I can get one. Are there any hotels near MSG? I usually just go out front and pretend to be a guest of the hotel so the guy with the whistle can get me a cab. The Renaissance was really nice, and I hope I can get a good rate for probably the 6th-8th of August. As for the subway, I tried that last year, but I couldn't get past the urine smell that hit me every time I was walking on the sidewalk and passed it.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Patty

The Pennsylvania Hotel is across 7th Avenue from the Garden - I've never stayed there, but the dogs from the Westminster Kennel Dog Show stay there. And if you like talk shows, Maury Povich and Sally Jessy tape at the Pennsylvania Hotel if they're not on hiatus.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Frank

Why is the Renaissance offering good rates only on the weekend? A hotel doesn't need help getting people to stay there on the weekend. $179 per night August 10-13, $129 on August 5 and 12. What is so wrong with having good rates on the 6-9th? So, any ideas for another hotel in the times square area that is less than a mile from MSG but offers a rate less than $249 a night on the 6th-9th of August?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:43 AM
tommy

Frank -
Hotels in NY probably are offering lower rates on the weekends because the dog days of summer are not the high tourist season in NY. However, during the week, the business travellers dont let up. So prices can be higher then.
As for a hotel closer to the Garden, have you looked into the Martinique Hotel? It is on Broadway and 32nd St. - just a block or so away for MSG. I dont know much about the hotel,only that it is owned by holiday inn. Their website is offering rooms in your price range. www.holidayinnbroadway.com.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Owen O'Neill

I wouldn't recommend Hotel Pennsylvania - I haven't stayed there but it gets consistently negative comments in this forum (sometimes lukewarm but never positive remarks). Hotel New Yorker is at 34th and 8th - very close to MSG. It is a big hotel (1,000+ rooms) and has many tour groups but was recently renovated and was very nice when I stayed there. Another good choice would be the Stanford - on 32nd a few doors away from the Broadway Holiday Inn. Stanford is a very small hotel frequented mostly by Asian travelers - I have stayed there and it was very nice, Small room but not tiny - large enough to include a small table with two chairs and a mini-fridge. There are also some nice Korean restaurants adjacent, including one that is open all night. The neighbnorhood is very quiet after dark but is safe.