NYC hop on hop off buses

Search

NYC hop on hop off buses

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC hop on hop off buses

For those considering the hop on hop off tour buses in NYC, you might want to read this article in the New York Times that suggests taking a regular city bus that winds through a lot of neighborhoods as an alternative.
"Hop on and Off, Just the Way the Natives Do "
http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/11/23...23weekend.html

Of course, it isn't the same thing, but I think it reflects what many people here have suggested about using regular public transportaion as a much cheaper but still easy and unintimidating way for visitors to get around the city
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM

Yes, public transit is just fine, and certainly superior for people watching, but IMHO you can't beat the view from the upper deck of the double-decker, especially if you're interested in architecture. Also, the article's description was oddly imbalanced: very detailed about the northern half of their "tour" and brushed off the southern half in a sentence or two.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 02:12 PM

I've never done the bus tours in New York, but in most cities of the world, I love doing that for my first trip there. It's a great way to get a feel for the layout of the city and to "see" the major attractions. You can either hop off and visit some of those attractions at the time, or simply stay on the bus to get the overview then go back.

I've always thought many people are missing the point of the Hop on bus when they say that visitors can take the subway or regular buses instead. The point of the whole thing really isn't getting from point A to point B, it's about getting an overall feel for the city. And getting some (probably recorded, sometimes live) commentary about what you're seeing makes sense for a first time visitor too. Also I agree with Anonymous -- there's a lot of difference between seeing things from the upper deck of an open bus and riding a regular bus.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 02:18 PM
yk

1) the upper deck is great
2) the regular city bus stops at every block - drives me nuts!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM

We use the city buses in NYC all the time, and they are surely more economical that the hop on/hop off buses. But, you really can't see much through the windows, even with a window seat.

The views from seats on the upper level of the double decker buses are panoramic and fantastic for viewing all the tall building and neighborhoods.

I would not necessarily describe riding the city buses and unintimidating. For one thing, you need a metro card (or a whole lot of quarters, as you cannot use dollar bills). And, it's often difficult to wait to see your remaining fare due to people behind you pushing to get on. And, not only can you not see out very well, it's often difficult to see even well enough to figure out where to get off.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Hey guys--don't shoot the messenger!

Treating a hop on hop off bus as an attraction in itself, as a way to get an overview, makes sense for some people. But often you'll see visitors say they do plan to use it just as a mode of transportattion to get from one place to the next.
At the rates they charge, and especialy for couples and groups--that's a lot of money (and often time)just to get from point A to point B!
I also wanted to point out that NYC public transportation includes buses as well as the subways which do seem intimidating to many people. On a bus, you have a driver who can answer some basic questions, the stops are close together (so you won't be afraid to miss a stop and end up in Brooklyn) and in most of Manhattan, they follow simple routes up and down the avenuues (which are on a grid).

NeoPatrick, as a side note, the commentary on these buses in NYC is notorious for being totally inaccurate and useless. I have heard some of the narration (when they pass through my neighborhood and the guide is using a microphone) and it sounds like they are just making up info on the spot!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM

I've never heard of anyone planning to use the very expensive HopOn buses as general transportatation, but I'm sure there are a handful of people that stupid. Why on earth would ANYONE do that?
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 04:09 PM

It does come up on the boards sometimes. Their promotional materials highlight all the tourist high spots, and many visitors have never used public transit so the tour bus seems like a way to reduce the odds of getting mugged, lost, or dropped off in the wrong borough.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 04:11 PM

The problem with the upper deck of the bus is that it's no good it it's too hot, too cold, rainy or snowy.

Separately, the buses run every 30 minutes or so - and even then are sometimes full - versus every 5 minutes or so for a city bus during the day.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:33 PM
yk

Separately, the buses run every 30 minutes or so - and even then are sometimes full - versus every 5 minutes or so for a city bus during the day.

My experience with NYC city buses has been:
Wait forever (like 10-15 mins) before the bus comes. And when it comes, there are usually 2 or 3 more buses (same route) right behind.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 09:03 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I love the hop-on, hop-off buses in NYC and may buy a 2 day pass over the Thanksgiving holidays - if it's not TOO cold. And, I bundle up and sit up top. I have a friend going who has never been to NYC and it's a great way to "gawk" without getting a lecture about stopping on the sidewalks And, yes, I have used them for "transportation". No, not for the fastest way from Point A to Point B but when you have a paid for tix, have your map in hand, find yourself a few blocks within the route AND your feet are tired, it's fun to hop-on and ride back uptown or wherever you want to go. Again, it may get you only within a few blocks of where you want to be...but you can GAWK in peace