Search

NYC - Help with an East Village location

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC - Help with an East Village location

Hello to everyone.
We are considering staying at East Village Bed and Coffee. I am aware it is not in a typically touristy location, but do you think it is a bad location?
The address is 110 Avenue C New York 10009.

We are very fond of walking and the 10-15 minutes walk to the subway doesn´t bother us.
Thanks in advance

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 12:23 PM

Alphabet City is certainly not a "touristy" area of NYC. It still maintains some "grit," if you know what I mean, like the eastern portion of the LES.

Is it a bad location? Depends on your comfort level & plans. Will you be wandering around at 2am? Probably not a good idea for visitors, except for ON the avenues.

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 01:26 PM

I live in Alphabet City, so I'm pretty familiar with the neighborhood. Avenue A and B are fine, but Avenue C makes me a bit nervous. Aves A&B have enough bars and restaurants to create a critical mass of people around at night. Avenue C is more deserted and there are also a few housing projects in the very near vicinity. I would walk down A or B by myself (a 20 something female) at night at feel safe, but not necessarily Ave C.

There are some cute restaurants on Ave C (Cafecito at 12th St.), but it's not quite as gentrified as areas further west. You'll probably be fine, but I would be cautious.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks. Very helpful comments. We are not thinking of going out until late, but of course we are going to dine out... but, if we take a taxi at night to come back, I guess it will be safe enough at daytime, wont'it?
Gekko, I am not very sure about the meaning of "grit". I looked it up at my dictionary but it was not very helpful... I am always willing to improve my English, you know
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 03:38 PM

"Grit" -- just as lizzie described.

And I love Cafecito on C! Also the stretch between 7th & 9th has some great spots.

Esperanto - C at 9th

Zum Schneider - C at 7th

Sunburnt Cow - between 'em
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:13 PM

Except for housing projects the area is mostly young people, lots of clubs, including after hours places, not very upscale and some a little dicey. Not a real high crime area, but perhaps some unpleasant people on the streets at night.

If we knew a little more about you (age, used to big cities and a broad variety of neighborhoods) we might be able to reco better. I know people I would tell to stay there- no problems - and others I would say - no way - you would be too uncomfortable.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

You are right, nytraveler, I will give some info about us:
We are a thirty something couple and we love independent travel. Not looking at all for upscale restaurants or hotels (well, perhaps it is only because we probably can't afford them...).
We are presently living in a medium-sized town (well, medium-size in Spain... not in USA ;-), over 150.000 population). We have lived at different areas of Spain, my husband has lived in Madrid for a year. We have traveled to some big cities (Paris, London, Berlin, El Cairo Bangkok and of course Madrid). I work at a criminal court, so I am used to deal with not-so-nice people.
Many thanks for your interest.
Gekko: I have write down your recomendations, many thanks!