Reload this Page >

NYC: Good Deli & Architecture Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Phil Knopp

We will be spending a long weekend in NYC this month. One of things I miss living in Nashville (formerly from Cleveland area) is a good deli sandwich. Any suggestions?
Also very interested in architecture. Any suggestions on architecture tours in NYC?
Thanks

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Brian Kilgore

When in New York recently I was in the food book section of the Rizzoli bookstore, listening to a loud New Yorker talking food with several other people. She seemed likely to be a deli expert, so I asked for comparisons between several, and she said the only one to go to, if you had limited time and couldn't try several, was the Carnegie Deli.

We went, were both impressed and stuffed. But bring money; it ain't cheap.

BAK

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 02:01 PM
Howard

Delis: The best is Second Avenue Deli at 2nd Ave. & 11th St., closely followed by Carnegie Deli on 7th Ave., between 54th & 55th Sts.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 05:27 PM
Philip

Forget all of those other tourist attraction delis. The real thing is Katz's Deli on the corner of East Houston & Ludlow Street.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 02:31 AM
rqf

Check this site for tours:
www.bigonion.com
Take your pick of delis from the three mentioned in the other replies. If ztaying in midtown the Carnegie is most convenient. Least convenient in terms of locationo is Katz's. Katz's is the least expensive of the three but the ambiance leaves a little to be desired.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 05:08 AM
tim

Phil,

I have good news for you. You don't have to go all the way to New York to get a good deli sandwich. I live in Nashville too and am surprised you are not aware of the Noshville Deli on Broadway. It is owned by native New Yorkers and the food is very comparable to what I have had on visits to NYC.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:11 PM
lisa

Another vote for the Carnegie Deli. Their reubens are the best. Actually you can't go wrong there with anything that includes corned beef or pastrami. It will be the biggest sandwich (and the most expensive) you've ever had, but worth it. The pickles are good too.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Stephanie

I was in NY a couple of weeks ago and was not at all impressed with the Carnegie deli, we have better deli than that in Detroit. I have heard from native New Yorkers that the Second Ave. Deli is the place to go for sandwiches. If you want to buy the fixins's, make a pilgrimage to Zabar's (I was VERY impressed with Zabar's Also, FYI The best place for pastries is Veniero's.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 02:58 PM
John

Phil, a walking tour of the Murray Hill neighborhood can include such architectural features as the Empire State Building, the JP Morgan Library, and, most importantly, the well-engineered pastrami and corned beef creations at Sarge's Deli on 3rd Ave. Oh, my...

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 03:30 PM
Kristie

As for the best deli in NYC, my vote goes for Carnagie Deli! I had the pastrami sandwich (actually, it's so big, my husband and I split it)...it was really good. You have GOT to try their cheesecake. It is so good, we've even ordered on and had it delivered to us here in N.C.!!! Have fun!

Old May 1st, 2001, 05:17 AM
steve

2nd Ave. Deli is the best.

Old May 1st, 2001, 12:49 PM
Diane

Don't know of a tour, but last weekend we marveled just at the area between City Hall Park and "Wall Street." The Woolworth Building is being refurbished, and looks like it will be outstanding. It was the tallest skyscraper in the world in (1903?). It's not far from there to the World Trade Center Towers. What a contrast! One of the things I enjoy the most about NYC is the archtecture. There are so many fabulous buildings within blocks of each other, many of which have amazing details, and aren't even in the "famous" category. My favorite is probably the Chrysler Building, but the Philip Johnson building is also awfully impressive for a "newbie."

Old May 5th, 2001, 10:19 PM
Jujee

i just LOVE Katz's!