NYC for Thanksgiving with an 11 yr. old

Old Nov 19th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC for Thanksgiving with an 11 yr. old

We are going into NYC Wednesday so that we can see the balloons being blown up and will stay overnight at the Sofitel and watch the parade on Thursday. We went last year and discovered Stardust Diner (my stepdaughter loved it?), went to Ruby Foo's for T-day dinner, explored the zoo in Central Park and fought the crowds at FAO's. Would love ideas on new things to do that we will ALL enjoy, but the focus will be on our 11 yr.old. Thinking about going to Chinatown on Thursday...good or bad idea??
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Some options for things that are open:

Top of the Rock

Staten Island Ferry

You can explore other areas of Central Park

If you feel like a longer trip the (much larger) Bronx Zoo is open every day
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 10:38 AM

YOu might try Jeckel and Hyde for dinner, ok food but my nephew also 11 LOVED the place.

The Museum of Natural History is fun for kids, and lots to see there, also the IMAX Theatre.

In Times Square there is a HUGE ToysRUS that might be fun, but it will be CROWDED.

You might consider the Bronx Zoo for a fun day, and if it's in the budget, join as a family. That way you have free admission to the Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, Brooklyn Zoo and Coney Island Aquarium for a year, AND you get a monthly magazine which has lots of good stuff for kids.

Chinatown is a fun neighborhood for kids, and Mott St has lots of stores for looking. Canal St will be packed with shoppers but the restaurants on Mott should be fine. My favorites there are Peking Duck House and Mandarin Court.

Ice Skating at Rock Center and/or Bryant Park would be fun, and at Bryant Park there is a holiday fair.

Hope this helps have a great time while you are here.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much....all great ideas!
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 03:24 AM

I can only think of one "memory" thing for a kid...buy a Roasted Chestnut as you hum Met Torme's "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" ! Happy Thankgiving
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 03:24 AM

I can only think of one "memory" thing for a kid...buy a Roasted Chestnut as you hum Met Torme's "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" ! Happy Thanksgiving