NYC entertainment book?

Search

NYC entertainment book?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 02:17 AM
lani

NYC entertainment book?

hi,

going to NYC on a last-minute break next week and was wondering if it was worth it to get an entertainment book. had one for hawaii and it was great. it'll be my husband's 1st time there, want to do the usual sights and we wanted to avoid fine dining (we like to find small places where the locals go). anybody find this book helpful? thanks!

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Alex

Used to buy the entertainment book here in NYC all the time, but over the last few years it hasn't been useful. Used to be a huge book for each borough, now it's smaller,all in one, with half the places listed in Brooklyn and Staten Island, places you're not likely to be.
You can get some disounts (maybe 25% instead of buy one get one free) at the Entertainment website itself, without having to buy the book. Also, sometimes you can find discounts at www.valpak.com
I often see local ethnic restaurants listed there.
There have been a couple of threads lately about interesting non expensive restaurants in NYC, but you can always start a new one. Just be sure to specify the types of food you like, the locations you're interested in, and your price ranges, and you'll get more advise than you can stand!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:17 AM
lani

hi alex,

thx for the advice! i'll follow your suggestions and look up the websites you listed.

we're staying at the sheraton (7th&53rd) and after looking at some maps i see we're near the korean area...i love spicy food!

appreciate the help

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Alex

Lani, "Little Korea" in Manhattan is on 32nd street between 5& 6th avenues, just 2 blocks from the EMpire State Building. It's about 2o block, a mile, from your hotel. There are lots of interesting inexpensive ethnic restaurants on 9th avenue in the 40s and 50s, also pretty close to you

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 12:45 AM
tweedy

Lani, when I saw the Little Korea on your post I just had to post something.

We used to live very close to Little Korea, and went there one evening for the worst meal of our lives. I am sure we just picked the wrong restaurant, but it was funny from begining to end, including inedible food, corn tea, a huge roach (we think committed suicide because of all the bad food there, lol)

Where you are staying there are alot of restaurants in the area, but that area is mostly tourists.

My suggestion would be to head east to 3rd Ave around 60th St. or down 3rd Ave below 42ns St. (Docks - 3rd and 30th is great for seafood)

Probably our favorite is Pomodoro's which is on Columbus at 70th, Italian, and the best bread.

For spicy you might try Little India, on Lexington from 29th to 26th St., several good restaurants in the area.

Of course there are something like 10,000 restaurants in Manhattan, so you should be able to find something you like. Pick up one of the better restaurant guides and as you work your way around the city you can have a handy pocket guide.

You might make it a point to eat at one of the restaurants in the World Trade area that have been affected by 9/11. There are some excellent restaurants in that area.

Have fun while you are here.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 04:23 PM
xxx

You'll love the Sheraton and it's location. Seems like thaat hotel was close to everything. Right next to Carnegie Deli too! And directly across the street was this wonderful deli where you can order your breakfast or lunch at the counter and then take it to your table. The food was great and inexpensive! I think it was called the seventh avenue deli? Anyone know?